Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep flooded at the axels

Old 09-09-2016, 08:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2BAJeep
Hey all, just want to say thanks for all the input. Nice to have a place to go when encountering issues with my jeep and know I will get good, straight up info.

Thanks again!!
Will drink that cold one next time I go relax at the river
Old 09-10-2016, 06:31 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Chefbrujo
How are the brake pads shot? Any pics?
When you apply the brake it vibrates up and down. Like the pads are warped. Once I finish cleaning my garage will be tearing the jeep apart and clean all I can. Just to be on the safe side.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 2BAJeep

When you apply the brake it vibrates up and down. Like the pads are warped. Once I finish cleaning my garage will be tearing the jeep apart and clean all I can. Just to be on the safe side.
Put some lube inside your hand brake cable sleeve.
You already checked the oil, the rest is all sealed parts therefore nothing to disassemble and clean, only replace. Unless you did some mods.

Now if you're looking for a reason to disassemble the Jeep, look at U and ball joints this is what we replace the most because of the salt we get every winter.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ade
6 hours in salt water and it will have got in most places. Pull it all apart, clean it good. Salt away, brake clean whatever works. Then regrease and fill with new oil. Your break pads are probably shot too.
Should have had no effect on the "Brake" pads at all. Water to the mid axle wouldn't have had sufficient pressure to work into much of anything. The OP should hose it down with fresh water, spray any bare metal with WD-40 and drive the thing.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
Should have had no effect on the "Brake" pads at all. Water to the mid axle wouldn't have had sufficient pressure to work into much of anything. The OP should hose it down with fresh water, spray any bare metal with WD-40 and drive the thing.
Sorry to tell you but brake pads are done. I guess the pads being submerged for 6 hours did them in. I don't believe I needed to do anything else but decided to change the oil anyway.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
Should have had no effect on the "Brake" pads at all.

Exactly. Hose them down with brake cleaner and be done with it.

Pulsating on braking is probably due to rust on the rotors. The pads will machine that rust off in no time. I say just drive it with the brakes as-is.

But of course, I never remove brake pads without replacing them no matter how worn they are or are not. So once you have the caliper apart enough to clean them, then new pads are cheap insurance.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
if you don't want to remove the diff cover, our jeeps have drain plugs in the diffs. This makes it so easy to drain and refill. You could drive it a bit, then drain the diffs into a clean container. Then inspect the drained fluid for water. If no water present, just refill with new fluid. If water is present, may be better to remove the cover. I've drained and refilled my diffs 3 times over the last 78,000 miles. It really is a simple task. Actually more simple than changing the oil.
I wish I knew this before. My dealer just charged $157 to drain and replace my fluid. :(
Old 09-25-2016, 04:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepinggas14
I wish I knew this before. My dealer just charged $157 to drain and replace my fluid. :(
yep, if you have a ratchet wrench, a bucket and about 30 minutes to kill, you could have saved about $120.

Quick Reply: Jeep flooded at the axels