Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep malfunction indicator light is on

Old 07-30-2009, 11:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep malfunction indicator light is on

A couple days ago I saw that the engine indicator or MIL light up when I started my jeep. I checked the book and it said loose gas cap or bad gas. I put some gas in and I threw some dry gas in to maybe get some of the water out just in case. Nothing still was lit up. Then I disconnected the battery and tried to reset the computer. Did not work either.

So before I drop it off at jeep to check it out any other suggestions for what it might be before I do that. Thanks for the help let me know.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably like it states either bad gas or the sensor could be malfunctioning. Who knows. A gas cap sensor is worthless anyways. Why do we need to pay an extra $10 because a bunch of people started to get too lazy to check if their gas cap was on. Stupid. Rant off.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:00 PM
JK Freak

So, is the light that is on your "check engine light"?

Some times, when that light comes on, the computer needs to be reset if the code has been cleared. Usually, the battery being disconnected, but sometimes, the dealer resets it. Happened to me.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default agreed!

I agree.. gas gap!
Old 08-03-2009, 06:24 AM
JK Newbie

All great suggestions just got a call from the stealership it was none of the above.

Seems a rat or squirrel ate through some of my wires and shorted out some of the electrical components. 250 plus tax. They also told me that the jeep warranty does not cover rodent damage so remember that in the future.

So now does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep rodents from eating my wiring?

Quick Reply: Jeep malfunction indicator light is on