Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep to the Rescue--One More Time

Old 01-27-2009, 04:04 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts
Default Jeep to the Rescue--One More Time

Plenty of stories on JK-Forum the last few days about Jeeps helping folks out of this nasty weather we're having. So, here's my contribution:

My master bedroom faces the street. During the day I often raise the blinds so that I can see the street. And I have a rocking chair that I use to watch the TV in that room--which is perennially tuned to CNBC. It's a nice bay window, even if it's just a view of my middle-class subdivision. And the view to the south is mostly blocked by my garage. But, ah .. there sits the JK parked outside the garage. I do love to look at it--you all know what I mean.

Anyway, I notice this afternoon the rear of an SUV that I can see just barely poking out past the garage. Funny thing is, it doesn't seem to be at the side of the road--more like towards the middle. I ponder a few minutes--I try not to be too nosy with my neighbors--and finally decide to throw on some boots and see what's up. Well, the SUV is parked about 4 feet from the curb. For a subdivision street, it's pretty wide, so traffic can still pass. And, there isn't much traffic with all of the sleet build-up we've had (probably 4 inches since last night). And no one is around. So I decide to keep an eye on things and if someone returns to the vehicle I will offer assistance.

Later I look out and I notice that the SUV is gone. Then I notice that vehicles seem to be going to the other lane, as if the proper lane is blocked, as I lose my view of them passing my garage. Hmmm. I haven't checked the mail, so I decide curiosity is getting the better of me and go check it.

Arriving in my driveway I see two cop cars. One is turned sideways in the road, tires spinning, as he tries to back up from the gutter into the road. The other is stopped just behind him, but in the normal travel lane. I assume (incorrectly I'll soon learn) that the latter is there to assist the former. Actually, the cop that's trying to get out of the gutter, wheels spinning and engine roaring, is there to assist the cop in the car at the side of the road. But, both can barely move in the sleety muck that our streets have become. So, I offer my assistance. One of the cops explains that he's been stuck multiple times that day, and had to be towed out by a city tow truck each time.

I go back in the house, get my keys, return to the Jeep and put a D-ring into the receiver. Get out the tow strap. As I'm setting things up in my driveway, a number of vehicles are passing back and forth, struggling to stay moving. One, a very nice-looking 4WD Toyota pick-up with "No Fear" in the rear window, and with a nice sounding, but too-loud-for-me exhaust, keeps on going. Maybe he's afraid if he stops to offer assistance, he'll get stuck, too. Anyway, his help won't be needed.

As I was setting things up the car that was sideways in the road manages to get free. So, I back up to the other cop car and we hook the tow strap up to that big cow catcher they use to push cars off the road. In about ten seconds, 4WD-Low set, I have him out and rolling. I stop and he asks if I can just pull him up to his house a couple hundred yards down. No problem.

After I'm done he asks about the canoes he sees at my house sometimes. I explain that I'm an assistant scoutmaster with a Boy Scout troop and that anything weird he sees like that is probably related to something we're doing--we own five trailers and I pull all but the very largest at various times. He comments how much he really likes my Jeep--every time he drives by my house. Flattery will get you everywhere, sir.

Anyway, I like to help folks out, and it can't hurt when they're cops. Sorry, no pic's--too little light and was too busy doing my good turn for the day.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 01-27-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool story. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm, great move! Might be good for one get out of jail card one day.

and a new friend.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CIJeep
Hmmmm, great move! Might be good for one get out of jail card one day.

and a new friend.
i dunno bout get out of jail card...but a get out of ticket card??? defintiely...nice job on helping out the 'man'. i do that whenever i can as well....

Quick Reply: Jeep to the Rescue--One More Time