Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep Rubicon Best 4x4 Vehicle of the Decade

Old 02-23-2010, 07:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmacJK
The unlimited was the best financial decision they ever made. Having said that, the vast majority of people driving them are soccer moms and other no-wave ppl who know nothing about a jeep.

While none of those people are on this website, I think offroad capability will further succumb to the demands of the non-offroad public for a "SUV" comfort drive.

I wonder if that will hurt the 'small family' ideal many of us have had with jeeps for many years? I worry about where jeep is headed in the future and what that means for those who like to wheel? Will we become a very small minority?

I dont know.

One positive thing for sure is that with this popularity of jeeps now (unlimited is the best selling jeep product of all time), the brand isnt at any risk of going away though it may change.
I agree, definately the best decision Jeep came up with....I mean how can they be hurting financially with JK Unlimited sales through the stratosphere!
4 doors opened up Jeep to an entirely new market...some soccer moms and posers for sure. But I see that as an advantage for someone looking to score a nice non wheeled used Rubicon in a few years once the novelty has worn off for the person that bought it soley as a status symbol. So hopefully someone that really wanted a great deal on a Rubicon will be able to pick up a used one that has never had it's diffs locked, or swaybar unlocked.
I don't think that those people will cause Jeep to drift into more road/comfort friendly development. Jeep has a heritage and history to uphold, and I believe they've done a remarkable job doing so while still updating the design for the modern day. Off the lot these are the most trail ready factory produced Jeeps to date, I'd say they're doing things well for the most part.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmacJK
The unlimited was the best financial decision they ever made. Having said that, the vast majority of people driving them are soccer moms and other no-wave ppl who know nothing about a jeep.

While none of those people are on this website, I think offroad capability will further succumb to the demands of the non-offroad public for a "SUV" comfort drive.

I wonder if that will hurt the 'small family' ideal many of us have had with jeeps for many years? I worry about where jeep is headed in the future and what that means for those who like to wheel? Will we become a very small minority?

I dont know.

One positive thing for sure is that with this popularity of jeeps now (unlimited is the best selling jeep product of all time), the brand isnt at any risk of going away though it may change.
The brand won't be going anywhere, for sure. Let's just hope the "Lunatic Fringe" are still employed at Jeep. If they are, the Wrangler, with it's true off road capability will be safe for some time...
Old 02-23-2010, 09:18 AM
JK Newbie

Engineers have built the most capable Jeep in history. They not only had market timing in their favor, they built what people want!

In Oregon the Rubicon is almost required for daily driving. Our roads are so bad that I feel sorry for those driving a sports car.

The stretch of the I-5 heading into Portland is so torn up you can feel your vehicle getting sideways on a slick day. I do not feel that at all in the Jeep Rubicon.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

To underscore Unlimited, I just added the Maximum Care Service Contract for lifetime coverage. So now I have even more of a reason to smile about my Jeep.

No need to go out and add a bunch of extra upgrades. This is not meant as disrespect to those of you building up an X model Wrangler!

I would urge anyone who has not added a Service Contract to check out the prices with Jeep.com.

Quick Reply: Jeep Rubicon Best 4x4 Vehicle of the Decade