Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep security

Old 04-21-2019, 06:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep security

Hi guys! I am trying to prepare to take my hard top off for the summer but I’m terrified someone will try and steal my Jeep! It doesn’t have any kind of alarm I’m told, but it does have low Jack. Can anyone recommend the best anti theft device? Whether it be a kill switch, one of those bars that keep the steering wheel from moving... I’d even be up for something that electrocuted anyone who jumped in and tried to start it. Lol help!!! I’m freaking out! If anyone took my baby I would be devistated after all the time and money I have spend doing mods. :(
Old 04-21-2019, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Your jeep is equipped with a specially coded key that is actively keeping someone from stealing it. Cut a copy of your key and try it out. The jeep will start, then turn off. All of the other things that you suggest are great but the reality is, if they want it- it's gone. A tow truck can scoop your jeep and it's gone. Make yourself less of a target by removing things of value and leave just change in the cupholders.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Think of the number of jeeps on the road, and then look to see which the most stolen vehicle models are. You're more likely to have something stolen out of it if you're careless and leave things laying about. #1 rule is just don't leave anything in it that you would be upset if it was stolen. Underseat lock boxes are nice for small items.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 04-22-2019, 10:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Internal Screamers

Posted on May 12, 2009 by obsessedWhat is the point in having internal sirens added to an alarm?

The short answer is to deafen anyone who enters the vehicle without permission. A horrid high pitched wail can be quite nauseating and will make an intruder very uncomfortable and encourage them to give up on their act of thieving. Therefore internal sirens can be a great way to protect your valuables. Obviously it would be a better practice not to leave valuable items in the car but sometimes this is simply not practical.

Internal Siren (Screamer!)
Internal screamers will help protect items installed into a vehicle such as an audio system or even the vehicle itself. Even the most experienced of car thieves would think twice about attacking the cars alarm system or to attempt an Immobiliser by-pass with his ears being attacked!

Installation considerations

Given that internal sirens are designed to be annoying it is best that they are only set off when they are needed, It would become a major irritation to have them chirp every time you disarmed your immobiliser. worst still if they were installed to a system which sets the sirens off if you attempt to start the car whilst it is immobilised such as the Mongoose M60!!!

The other thing to consider is that screamers are best left as a surprise factor so it may not be wise to advertise them when you arm/disarm your car. Doing so will encourage an observant scumbag to head of down his local hardware shop to purchase (or shoplift) a pair of earmuffs!

Protection needn’t be an irritation

There are various ways to stop internal sirens from being a nuisance. I like to use a Siren driver with a delay circuit which will work with most alarms that do not use a digital battery back-up/data siren. It can run multiple internal sirens, four of the little bastards tucked up under the dash and a couple in the boot (trunk for US readers) are certainly going to be more effective than having just the one.

The other consideration is which internal sirens to use, I have played with numerous sirens to see which are the loudest, (my neighbours must love me!) they certainly vary. The ones I now use I swear by as they are Darn well offensive. Whilst I’d love to reveal more I’m not going to post where I source them from to prevent my competition from playing monkey see, monkey do. (Sorry guys you’ll have to do your own homework this time!)

King of Internal Screamers!
Cobra Battery back-up Siren

This title probably has to be given to Cobra for their 4310 digital battery back-up siren, it’s the same siren found with their new generation of alarms and can be added to the bus system found on models like the AK4198. Because it’s digital it can be secured in a hard to reach location and can not be defeated by disconnecting the battery. Being locked inside a confined area with one going off would be a great form of torture, I’m sure the Bush administration would have used it in their terror regime if they were aware of it!!!

Typical Pricing with installation: (if installed at the same time as the alarm)

Obsessive Siren Driver with 4 internal screamers $140.00
Cobra 4310 Siren $150.00
Old 04-22-2019, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

These things aren't mutually exclusive, either. Nothing says you can't install a kill switch in conjunction with your existing anti-theft systems and keep a Club style steering wheel immobilizer too.

As with any discussion on vehicular security (and previously mentioned here) there's nothing you can do to stop someone from taking it if they're really determined. The best you can do is make it enough of a hassle that they'll not think it worth the effort.

Another suggestion that would make it just that much tougher to steal: swap to a manual transmission!
Old 04-22-2019, 05:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn’t know this!! Thanks for the information.

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Your jeep is equipped with a specially coded key that is actively keeping someone from stealing it. Cut a copy of your key and try it out. The jeep will start, then turn off. All of the other things that you suggest are great but the reality is, if they want it- it's gone. A tow truck can scoop your jeep and it's gone. Make yourself less of a target by removing things of value and leave just change in the cupholders.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:13 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by Elektraisfire
I didn’t know this!! Thanks for the information.
That is good AND bad. Like, if you ever lose a key, it will cost a lot to replace. I'd suggest buying an extra key off ebay that you can program yourself. Once you lose one of the main keys, that is not an option....it's dealer or a licensed locksmith.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
That is good AND bad. Like, if you ever lose a key, it will cost a lot to replace. I'd suggest buying an extra key off ebay that you can program yourself. Once you lose one of the main keys, that is not an option....it's dealer or a licensed locksmith.
Yep... this ^^^^

If you have TWO working keys, you can program up to 8 keys for your vehicle (including the two working ones) yourself. If you drop below two working keys, then you have to pay a dealership to program your key for you.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Mopar EVTS.

Quick Reply: Jeep security