Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep Stories. How did you go about getting yours?

Old 02-26-2008, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evolution

I have wanted a 4X4 since I got stuck at home for 4 days last winter. The snow was so deep city plows could not move it. My wife and I shoveled out the drive to get my pickup the rest of the way off the street. When we got done she thought she was having a heart attack and only a helicopter could get in at that point. I felt so helpless I swore that I would not buy the Mustang of my dreams and began looking for a 4X4. I first looked at FJs and like the way they drove but what the heck were they thinking with the tires? You can't get one with real tires and then only rear lockers, at that point I decided a Rubicon would fit the bill. But the BOSS instructed me that the 2 door would not be acceptable. I caved in and we ordered an Unlimited from Jeep Warehouse. Six months of lies later I drove to Chicago and found one that I could negotiate to invoice, SOLD. Now occasionally I get to drive the jeep when the wife is not taking it.

The picture is from the Cliffs last week where I help wrench on some FJs.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

My dad and I went to Colorado last summer and we rented an 07 2door jk with a manual. I was hooked. I have not yet been able to get one but within the next year I should be able to afford it.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have wanted a jeep forever but never had the money to buy one. Even a used 89'
were out of reach. Any way my girlfriend ends up buying a 2005 liberty renagade, WtF. Then we go to key west. And I want to rent a jeep... It turns out to be an 06
lb rubicon. Done deal I was getting one. So a few years later 2008 rubi. I love it so much. It just took time to get money and for it to come in. But worth every penny and second I had to wait
Old 02-26-2008, 10:17 PM
JK Freak

Talking Cool stories

I was pretty sure on getting a Dodge caliber, Wagons rule, or a ford Ranger, like my uncle's, and on the way to the drive in, my dad says, why don't you get one of those, a 04 TJ, green six inch lift, and some 35, i think and I said, like I could afford one, and his reply was well how much are they? SOOOO I priced them and well I don't have much money left, but there is an awesome JK out on my lawn.... Jeeps don't belong in the garage, park it on the front yard.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

My previous car was a lease that was over mileage. It sat at my father's house while I took my sisters 96 wrangler with 110k miles for about 3 months. Then I went to test drive the unlimited with the front roof panels off....sold.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

My youngest son gets his driver's license next week.

I had a Dodge Dakota 4x4 as a daily driver and an '03 Mustang Mach 1 as my fun car.

As much as I wanted to let my son drive the Mach 1, I couldn't, in my right mind, let him have a car with that much power as his first drive.

On 12/31, I grabbed the wife, and off we went to get him something "cheaper and safer" to drive. Came back with a JK - X.

I told the wife "i'm just going to drive it for a few days and make sure there are no problems with it when he starts driving it...."

I sure hope he likes the Dodge Dakota pickup he's gonna be driving....
Old 02-27-2008, 06:41 AM
JK Junkie

I ran into a good friend of mine and he was telling me how nice the new 4dr's were. The next day, my wife and I were driving by the jeep dealer and I told her what he said. All she said was "reallyyyyyyy?!" and swung her jeep into the dealer. We test drove it that saturday, went home crunched some numbers. She went back Monday and placed the order. They wouldnt budge on the price of the JK, but they hit the number we wanted by giving us 4K more on our 04 TJ then we thought we'd get. It took a little over 5 months to get our Rubi, but we couldnt be happier.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

October 30, 1999 I signed papers on my 2000 Grand Cherokee and I saw the Wrangler (TJ) on the lot. I kept thinking how good they looked and how much fun they would be.

So, the next vehicle I purchased was a 2006 Dodge Ram Quad Cab. It was between this and a Silver 2006 Rubicon w/ a hard top. My wife even told me to get the Jeep b/c I never quit talking about one. I even almost purchased a 1986 CJ the year before. The only reason I bought the Dodge is b/c my daughter was 8 months old and I felt that the Crew Cab was best to get her in and out as opposed to a 2 door Jeep.

Since I bought the truck, it has an engine problem that was never fixed; even after 6 attempts. I also had 1/2 dozen other problems out of it. So, I was not going to keep a lemon vehicle and had decided to get rid of it. They were either going to give me a vehicle just like I had (didn't want it) or I was going to get a Jeep. My options were to get a used TJ since my girl is now older or buy a new JK Unlimited. Even tried to trade in my truck and buy a JK, but they were not treating me fairly. So I went to battle. After months me pestering the snot out of them, they offered me a buyback deal on the Dodge.

I ended up getting a deal so big that I was astonished what I ended up paying for my Jeep. I am very happy that I got the JK; so are my daughter and wife. I consider it a family purchase as we all can enjoy it.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well I wrecked my S10 4door going to work one morning, so I started to look at the JK's (always wanted another Jeep). I was looking for a red one but they were hard to find at the time. So I switched to looking for one of those trail rated Patriots. I found a dealer that had about 10 of them in stock. So I drive over there and there are the Patriots AND a Red X Loaded. I took it for a test drive and bought it on the spot. I took delivery 3 hours later.
Here's the best part--I called the wife from my driveway and told her to look out the window, I bought a convertible!
Old 02-28-2008, 07:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 96 Ford Ranger not a bad little truck but with 16 and 13 year old kids we couldn't go anywhere. In December O7 I broke the left rear leaf :( so I made the decision to buy a new something.
I wanted something made, as much as possible, in the USA.
I looked at the Ford, GM, and Dodge trucks very nice very expensive, I drove a few and just could not see $30+ grand.

Then I drove a 4 door JK, it was LOVE at first drive. It took about 3 weeks to get the Jeep I wanted.

Yesterday I was talking to a buddy (divorced about a year) he's looking to replace his aging 180,000 mile 4 door car with something he will look good in

I told him a Jeep might just help

Quick Reply: Jeep Stories. How did you go about getting yours?