Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep Wouldnt Start

Old 09-14-2011, 07:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep Wouldnt Start

So yesterday I went to take my jeep to the store for the first time in about a week. When I got in the jeep to go to start it all I got was a click. Dead battery okay simple.... NOT. I got out the jumper cables and went to give it a jump and no luck wouldnt even start to turn over. Called allstate then to send the roadside assistance out, they sent out a tow truck and they used one of the battery pack jumpers and after no luck the first couple times we finally got it. I let it run for about 10 minutes and then decided to drive to walmart to get a new battery... I made it about 2 miles when everything went dead and then turned back on... I kept driving and then one store over from walmart It dies right in front and wont even turn over or anything at all. Stuck in park now too... Had to Release the lock on the council to get it to click into neutral to push it out of the way. Now im thinking it has to be the alternator because it didnt get any charge from driving since it died again. I got a voltage reader and got a reading of 5 Volts and tried jumping again with no luck. I gave up and put the top on and have to take tarps over the windows since its raining and couldnt close them. Ended up leaving the keys in the jeep leaving and calling allstate and told them to take it to jeep. I have no clue whats going on and if it is the battery why the hell it died.... Guess its time to meet the jeep guys in the new town...
Old 09-14-2011, 08:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

From reading other "won't start" threads here, there is a battery problem, an alternator problem, or both. You should be fine when both are working right. The JK electronics do strange things when the voltage is low.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

If it is the stock battery, it is likely due for a replacement. Mine died just over a month ago and I bought the Jeep in May of 2007. It wouldn't hurt to have the alternator inspected while you are in there.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:36 PM
JK Freak

So the stealership said its just the battery... Still curious why it died and didnt continue to run even though the alternator was going
Old 09-14-2011, 01:19 PM
JK Freak

Do you have an illuminated (or flashing), unlabeled red light next to your temp gauge? If so, that means that your vehicle antitheft system has engaged for some reason and refuses to accept your key as valid. Don't ask me why they don't label that innocuous little light, but when it illuminates, your vehicle will crank and start--and die after two seconds. Sound familiar? Anyway, the corrective action, if it's not the key, is to disconnect the battery for a minute or two, then reconnect. However, if something has happened to your key ... have you tried another key?

Thanks to Mark Doiron for the above info..
Old 09-15-2011, 07:27 PM
JK Freak

did you figure it out?
Old 09-17-2011, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Check all your grounds. Alot of jk's are having grounding issues. Mainly where the battery is grounded

Quick Reply: Jeep Wouldnt Start