Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK 3.6L 10,000 Miles Oil changes - Blackstone lab report

Old 08-11-2015, 07:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by munir
My dealer wants me to come in every 5000km (~3000miles). Putting the business case aside for them, this is just terrible for the environment for all the folks that actually stick to that schedule... Last time I changed the oil at 8k, it looked pretty much new coming out.
Same here. My dealer told me I would void the warranty in my 2012 if I didn't change the oil every 3000 miles. He also told me I could void the warranty by using synthetic oil. Needless to say, I don't let them do my maintenance.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Originally Posted by ikaros
I change my own oil as the the oil change shops around my area are not to be trusted. Had one too many bad experiences.
last time I was at an oil change shop they broke the ram air box on my Camaro, they would not pay for a replacement and that was the last time I had my oil changed by someone else.
I do my own oil changes as well as all the mechanical work on all our cars.
I can do it, so I do.
To answer your question of can you find non synth oil? yes you can and a lot of oil change places still use it. The $20 oil changes in my area are all non synth.
A full synth oil change in my area is in the $40-50 range.
I know some local dealers charge their customers in the $35 range for synth blends.
Not sure what part of the county your in but that's been my experience in my area.
Yes, but which engine do you have? 5k may be fine for 3.8 but is much too soon, IMHO for the 3.6 pentastar.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jk_sea
On my new cars, I do the first change at 3k, then at 6k, again at 10k, and every 5k thereafter, all synthetic. Super easy to remember when it's due, it keeps my suspicions in check even though it's probably done earlier than needed. My Jeep, my money, don't like it, call the EPA
Waking this up again as I'm at 3,200 and the oil is 1/2 quart down and a
slight smoke on start up. Headed in to the shop for first oil change in the morning. Made sure the warranty and service managers were both going to be there when I called. This is my first brand new jeep "car" so I wasn't sure if being 1/2 quart down is normal?
Old 11-05-2016, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Oil Change Interval

Reviving an old thread.

I just sold a 2008 JKU Sahara that ATE OIL FOR BREAKFAST.
It was eating 1 quart/1000 miles almost after the first year I got it.
If I EVER let it go 6K miles between changes, it had about 2 quarts left in it and looked like like mud and ash coming out. I was beyond shocked when the Stealership told me "1 quart/1K miles is acceptable."

So, I just got a 2016 JKU Sport with the Pentastar, of course.
My question is twofold:
  • What in the world could be that BIG of a difference between the two engines that one needs changing at 3K and the other is effectively rated for 10K??
  • If the older engine was REALLY that bad, what would motivate Chrysler to put the darned thing in the vehicle in the first place??
Old 11-05-2016, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

08 was flat out not good for jeep. They had bearing issues and reportedly the ring packs weren't set correctly. My 2010 with that same 3.8 doesn't drink oil at all and I put it on 10k oil changes due to the amount of highway miles I do.

The 3.6 has its own set of issues but oil consumption doesn't seem to be it.
Old 11-05-2016, 02:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vedo13
Reviving an old thread.

I just sold a 2008 JKU Sahara that ATE OIL FOR BREAKFAST.
It was eating 1 quart/1000 miles almost after the first year I got it.
If I EVER let it go 6K miles between changes, it had about 2 quarts left in it and looked like like mud and ash coming out. I was beyond shocked when the Stealership told me "1 quart/1K miles is acceptable."

So, I just got a 2016 JKU Sport with the Pentastar, of course.
My question is twofold:
  • What in the world could be that BIG of a difference between the two engines that one needs changing at 3K and the other is effectively rated for 10K??
  • If the older engine was REALLY that bad, what would motivate Chrysler to put the darned thing in the vehicle in the first place??
the engineering and build quality between the old 3.8 and the new 3.6 are not even really comparable. the 3.6 is just a much newer and advanced design. better parts better engineering and better tolorances make longer oci's possible. its the same story for a lot of the newer engines.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
08 was flat out not good for jeep. They had bearing issues and reportedly the ring packs weren't set correctly. My 2010 with that same 3.8 doesn't drink oil at all and I put it on 10k oil changes due to the amount of highway miles I do.

The 3.6 has its own set of issues but oil consumption doesn't seem to be it.
I always suspected the ring pack, but I could never get the stealership to acknowledge it. Never saw it published anywhere.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:45 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by vedo13
I always suspected the ring pack, but I could never get the stealership to acknowledge it. Never saw it published anywhere.
I go 8-10K miles on my 3.8 and have been since I bought it new. Usually don't need to add a quart, but on rare occasions have. Have 200,000 miles on it now. There was something wrong with your old engine (though all manufacturers go with the 800-1000 mile/quart dictum).
Old 03-12-2022, 01:07 PM
JK Newbie

Default Not over 5K

I wouldn’t recommend anybody to go over 5K OCI on these problematic 3.6L engines.
Our 2015 Grand Caravan needed to get the rockers replaced as well as 2 of the 4 camshafts which were scored by the bad rockers. It starts out by clicking/knocking engine sounds (at lower RPMs, engine cold or warm) which started for me around 85,000 mi.
I hope nobody has to go through this ordeal, it is not cheap.
Don’t skimp out on oil changes.

Last edited by speedra995; 03-12-2022 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-13-2022, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 471 Likes on 423 Posts

Actually it is not a question of skimping it is more a question of what you use for oil. It is a proven fact that Amsoil is the best oil with some very close competitors running second. I run my Cheeep engine for 14000kms on Amsoil and it is still appears half clean when removed for changing. I pay $85cdn for 7 liters to change. Remember Mopar oil is supplied by the cheapest bidder. I highly recommend all our Jeep brethren with manuals change to Amsoil Synchromesh. It shut up that slight bearing / whiny sound that sons unit had with the Mopar oil. Completely silent now.

Quick Reply: JK 3.6L 10,000 Miles Oil changes - Blackstone lab report