Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Which JK is better 2 or 4 door?
2 Door JK
46.43%
4 Door JKU
53.57%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

JK 4 Door vs 2 Door -

Old 04-26-2013, 09:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Deleted.............

Last edited by Brh5073; 04-26-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:17 PM
JK Newbie

I like the look of the 2dr. Unlimited looks lime a hummer. I dont care about the people in the back,not my problem if they are uncomfortable. I take my backseat out and dont care if my friends have to sit on the floor.
Im not arguing with anyone but how is the towing better on the unlimited? Isnt the engine and gear ratio the same?
Old 04-26-2013, 09:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brh5073
I like the look of the 2dr. Unlimited looks lime a hummer. I dont care about the people in the back,not my problem if they are uncomfortable. I take my backseat out and dont care if my friends have to sit on the floor.
Im not arguing with anyone but how is the towing better on the unlimited? Isnt the engine and gear ratio the same?
Even though it is the same motor and gearing etc... What makes the difference in the towing capacity is the longer wheelbase.
Same reason the towing capacity was less on the TJ vs the LJ.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

All this is great, exactly what I was looking for. I love the logical reply on the first page of 2 and 4 door benefits. I would love to hear more from the people with both 2 and 4 door Jeeps. What they see as benefits and weakness of both. Since they are best to compare the two, and least likely to pick one without a good reason.

My wife would of liked me to get the 4 door for all the reasons the group with 4 doors mentioned but I just love the 2 door look. Plus my kids love Rubi, I even had my 4 year old daughter ask "Daddy when you die can I have your Jeep?" I replied with a belly laugh and told her she will have to fight her brother for it. I tend to keep my Jeeps for 15+ years so not out of the realm of possibility but I hope I have more then 15 years of wheeling in me still.

I also agree I never plan on sitting in the back and rarely plan to sit in shot gun so screw more room. No one will ever ask me to move large items like I'm a pickup and I am fine with that. My JK is my daily driver because it is the funnest car ever. As I see it the point of a Jeep is it can do both road and off road vehicle. I even don't mind traffic in it and I drive 30+ miles one way.

Keep this thread alive I love the passion on both sides.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I loved my LJ but had to get a 4D when we had a 3rd child, couldn't fit 2 car seats plus one not in car seat in the back of the LJ or the 2D JK.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Man I wish they made an "LJ" JK!
Old 04-27-2013, 08:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

The thing is that I and other friends finds the backseats in a 2 door more comfortable than in a 4 doors. Without any measurments we think that the 4 doors have more vertical back and less support for the legs than the 2 door backseat. The 4 door have more boot space and have easier acess to the backseat.

The seat in a 4 door aint good at al, but have more room for stuff under front seats and backseats than a 2 door and offcourse have much bigger cargospace. But the turning circle is really bad for the 4 door.

A 2 door can be cool with stock tyre or with almost stock like 265/70/17 tyre but I think a 4 door almost needs?? bigger tire and lift to look cool,, many dollars more.

Last edited by Omar Brannstrom; 04-27-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I dont care about the people in the back,not my problem if they are uncomfortable. I take my backseat out and dont care if my friends have to sit on the floor.
Spoken like a true 20 somethinger. If those were your kids crying in the back seat, and you needed the extra room to gain access to them, or to ensure they had extra comfort on a long family trip, you would have a totally different attitude. Oh, how I miss being 20 something, where my most important priority in life was myself.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe it boils down to one thing. Needs.
For years I've wanted a Wrangler, and for those years it was not practical for my needs, as the wife and I had 3 children. We both have vehicles and both had to be able to carry the children, and have easy access and enough room. The 2 dr Wrangler did not meet the needs. We both had XJ's. Me a 94, her a 99 I lifted mine 6" ran 33"s and had lockers with all the other trail protection. Back in Sept. 06 when the 07 JKU came to the local Jeep dealership lot. We took the wifes 99XJ and traded in for a JKU X in auto and 4:10 gears along with cruise in a soft top. Finally a Wrangler that met our needs. Jeep got this one right, as I do believe I have seen more JKU's than JK's. The JKU is a Wrangler but far more stable than a JK. Granted it may not be able to navigate some of the trails that a JK ca due to it's size, but then most people driving the JKU are not the diehard Jeepers who drive those trails. They are simply people who like the looks of a Wrangler and all the benifits that come with owning a Wrangler, but also the size and room a JKU has.
As stated we are not diehard trail blazing Jeepers, but when winter comes here and the snow falls the wifes stock JKU can go anywhere in this town that a JK can go, and with more comfort and stability.
Now that the children are grown, we still have the grandkids and their friends to move around. Could we do it in a JK?
The JKU is still the most practicle Jeep for us.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rednroll

Spoken like a true 20 somethinger. If those were your kids crying in the back seat, and you needed the extra room to gain access to them, or to ensure they had extra comfort on a long family trip, you would have a totally different attitude. Oh, how I miss being 20 something, where my most important priority in life was myself.
I can't even imagine having kids with a jeep in general. If I had a newborn in the car I would be afraid of snapping its neck or shaken baby syndrome because of how amazing the jeeps suspension is. As for a long family trip, I don't think so. I'd take another car due to stiff ride and awful gas mileage. I think we would need 3 cars if I were to have kids with a jeep. Wife's car, family car(SUV or something similar), my car( whether it be my jeep or if I eventually get my 69 camaro SS which may never happen

Quick Reply: JK 4 Door vs 2 Door -