Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

The JK Doesn't Suck

Old 12-21-2007, 05:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll admit I went to a jeep dealership not even interested in a wrangler, I was looking at a cherokee with a hemi,my friends always had wranglers but was never a fan except for the wheeling aspect of it. I saw the sahara ,the door was open so I hopped in and started snooping around I went back when they opened on monday took it for a ride and drove it home that thursday. I have never owned a vehicle longer than a year and a half ,but that is gonna change, this jk is the $h*t.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:36 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
I looked at consumer reports and saw that nasty 17 score and thought why would they give it that score? I thought it was nice riding, very quiet, not much wind noise at +70mph, back seats were not bad for passengers, etc.
Consumer Reports are a great resource. Their dispassionate, scientific approach to ratings certainly provides reliable, useful results . . if you're buying an appliance. IMHO, they're worthless if you enjoy driving and you're buying a vehicle. How do you rate the "fun factor"? Stick with car/4 wheel mag's and you'll have a better idea of what's worth spending your money on.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Consumer Reports are a great resource. Their dispassionate, scientific approach to ratings certainly provides reliable, useful results . . if you're buying an appliance. IMHO, they're worthless if you enjoy driving and you're buying a vehicle. How do you rate the "fun factor"? Stick with car/4 wheel mag's and you'll have a better idea of what's worth spending your money on.
I read CR but always keep in mind their "dispassionate" point of view. Their review has good info if you're comparing it to say a CR-V, but I gave MUCH more credence to the reviews of folks who clearly understood the JK's mission.

Here's one reviewer that "got" the Jeep:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/rev...ngler-rubicon/

I especially liked this line: "Sure there are faster, more economical and more practical SUVs for sale today, but they all share a common flaw – I don’t want one." My sentiments exactly!
Old 12-22-2007, 05:45 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FlightTester
I read CR but always keep in mind their "dispassionate" point of view. Their review has good info if you're comparing it to say a CR-V, but I gave MUCH more credence to the reviews of folks who clearly understood the JK's mission.
That's an excellent point. The data in CR is great, but they factor their reviews based on an intended audience (soccer moms in most cases). It would be nice if they approached it from the different applicable audiences.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You're right, they don't suck.

My wife and I are moving back to America from South Africa and wanted a new 4x4 waiting for us when we arrived. I was online looking at the FJ Cruiser, but we don't have them here so we were test driving any SUV that is both here and in America. So we drove a Grand Cherokee and a Nitro.

We were undecided and I was reseaching about the JK. So we called the dealership and they had one in our area so we went to check it out, kind of just to check it off our list, so we could say we checked out everything. But, when we drove it we loved it and now have one waiting for us in Georgia when we get off the plane on Jan 1. I can't wait.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gifford888
(At least as bad as some of you guys & media reviews make it out to be)

Now, something very interesting has happened -- for the past 2 months, we all go hiking -- almost every week! This is completely out of the norm for us -- we all got boots -- kids got reflector bands -- we went to LL Bean in Maine and all got Snowshoes & Backpacks! And I got from a real reliably source that Santa is brining Garmin's best handheld GPS for X-Mas with a Geocaching book so we can get into that as well.
Yeah for Geocaching! I'm actually about to go geocaching this week...

I don't know what book you are getting but really the only books I have seen on geocaching are basically geocaching.com rehashed and spit out on paper...... (A waste of $). Just look at the website...Also, I have the Garmin eTrex it is the most basic and works great for geocaching. So if you don't need all the bells and whistles.. you can save some cash (for Gas) and be happy too!

I'm matthew2000tx on geocaching.com, so look me up.

Last edited by matthew2000tx; 12-22-2007 at 06:40 AM.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by gifford888
(At least as bad as some of you guys & media reviews make it out to be)

**If you're not into long posts, go read something else!**

Intent of this post -- to get a few things off my chest and provide a review to non-rock-crawlin' family-oriented suburbanites... and a way to have a little fun at others expense at the end.

Am I an automotive/transportation connoisseur? Not really -- my next door neighbor with his 2 Ferrari's, Bentley Continental Convertible, numerous Mercs and BMWs beats me... BUT I've had quite a few experiences -- Miata, '63 Impala Convert., '64 Impala, handfuls of Mercs, a few BMWs, and then there is my love-affair with VW and Audi - I ride a Vespa -- I have the latest Segway model...

So a few months ago, I decide that even though I'm a stay-at-home dad with 2 young children, I HATE -- that is HATED my new Sienna Minivan (had the older version and liked it a lot better)... and that I wanted a CONVERTIBLE to have as a daily driver for me and the kids... Audi A4, Volvo C70, Beetle Convert., Saab Convert., Solara -- we drove them and ruled them all out due to being too small (I'm 6' tall) and my children have legs.

I have to mention (and I know this hits nutty-buttons) that previous to this Jeep purchase, I could conceive of no circumstance where I would consider wanting to be a passenger in a modern car from an American car company much less, buy one!!! I am into design and quality!

BUT!!!!!!!!! I see a 4 door Wrangler from time to time and think, that looks pretty cool -- I find this Forum -- I read -- I read -- I read -- leaky tops -- stalling -- "think of it as a tractor with a canvas top" -- "while the most livable Wrangler ever, this essentially says nothing and it is NOT for mall hopping" -- "this is for mostly off-road use" ------------> Ok, 700 miles later -- BXLLSXIT!!!!!!! It's 100% livable -- it's not kidney-jarring, I drive it to Target, to the Mall, to Trader Joe's, and Costco -- and it's great -- dammit, it's very easy to live with! The engine is dead but that's ok, it's powercurve reminds me of my old Merc. diesels... and I kinda like that...

The first few weeks I had the Jeep, the 2 top panels were OFF -- it was in the 40's -- it PAINED me to stick 'em back on -- I have the soft top for the spring and can't wait to stick that on and take a door or 2 off...

Now, something very interesting has happened -- for the past 2 months, we all go hiking -- almost every week! This is completely out of the norm for us -- we all got boots -- kids got reflector bands -- we went to LL Bean in Maine and all got Snowshoes & Backpacks! And I got from a real reliably source that Santa is brining Garmin's best handheld GPS for X-Mas with a Geocaching book so we can get into that as well.

I have the only 4 Door Convert. on the market I know of -- I have 4X4 if I ever need it on icy/snowy roads -- my family is being introduced to the great outdoors. I have a LIFETIME warranty on my engine and transmission! I can't wait to drive it to the beach!

Gas mileage -- for all the bellyachin' on here -- what do you expect?? 20mpg is fine for this.

Jeep Wave -- Yes I do.

All for less than $30K??? Buy one! For the love of Pete, buy one -- and while you're at it, to trick the Global Warming Zombies and the environmental wackos to stay off your case and have them think you have some special engine -- join me by putting the same sticker that I have to the left of my spare tire: "Hydro Carbon Powered Eco-Vehicle" (Oil is a Hydro Carbon)

https://members.premiereinteractive....585/41406.htm#

Final Thought -- Even if you never have and never want to go off-roading, this vehicle is a blast to own -- It is practical for a run-about with young children -- It is a four door convertible, 4X4 for the winter, and it is really fun to drive!

haha this is a very random post, well not the post itself, just how it was writing. I very much enjoyed reading it. I am just glad that I was not able to read it and then say "Damn I wish I had one of those"

And in terms of some of those issues you talk about. That is what the warranty is for. I just wish they had the lifetime warranty up north in Canada. The day the do is the day I go to the dealership to trade in.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:55 AM
JK Freak

I *heart* my Jeep.

Sorry I don't post much.. too busy out driving it!

Quick Reply: The JK Doesn't Suck