Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Hit By Lightning

Old 06-08-2009, 08:48 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK Hit By Lightning

So I was just driving my oldest son around chasing lightning and started wondering what would happen if a JK hardtop got hit. I've seen other vehicles get hit with no injury to the passengers. Anyone know what would happen with our rigs?
Old 06-08-2009, 08:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Location: Christiana, Tennessee, United States, United States

Originally Posted by Mskh20
So I was just driving my oldest son around chasing lightning and started wondering what would happen if a JK hardtop got hit. I've seen other vehicles get hit with no injury to the passengers. Anyone know what would happen with our rigs?
I was wondering this exact thing the other day.........
but also what if a live elctrical wire were laying on the jeep like after a wreck with a electric pole , I know in a normal vehicle with a normal roof you are ok as long as you stay in the vehicle but what about in the JK witha soft or hard top on?

Last edited by TN-MEDIC-14; 06-08-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:18 PM
JK Freak

Chasing lightening with your son????

There is alot of steel on the inside of a JK I don't think you would fare well.!!
Old 06-08-2009, 09:30 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by arkain04
Chasing lightening with your son????

There is alot of steel on the inside of a JK I don't think you would fare well.!!
"chasing" is relative. The lightning was no less than 5-10 miles away up in the mountains and we were simply driving around on the city streets in the valley looking up in the clouds. Still, my son thought we were chasing it which seemed real cool to him
Old 06-08-2009, 09:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

My best guess with the lighting is that Jeeps would be less likely to be struck due to lack of metal (conductor) surface high in the air. Even if a Jeep was struck, electricity follows the path of least resistance so it should either hit the windshield frame or sport bar and exit out the bottom of the frame or axle.

What protects you with a downed power line on top of your rig is the tires. The rubber is an insulator and breaks the path for electricity to flow. Also the hardtop is fiberglass another insulator and the soft top might not be as good of an insulator but it's not a good conductor either so technically a Jeep should be safer. But none the less if you have a downed power line on your Jeep DON'T GET OUT OF IT STAY IN IT!

Did you guys sleep through science class?
Old 06-08-2009, 10:28 PM
JK Jedi

LOL. No, I didn't. Back to my question, what is likely to happen to the top if it took a strike (presuming the strike was headed for the sportbar?) Is it likely to burn, shatter, do nothing, etc. I'm not convinced that just because fiberglass is an insulator that the question is moot.

And by the way, in the vehicle/lightning strike I saw the lightning hit the hood even though it wasn't the highest metal part of the vehicle. The strike also left a pretty nasty burn.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_...le_strike.html

Top Gear's answer

Last edited by GrassSeed JK; 06-08-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

First off, lets dispel a myth:
The fact that tires are rubber has nothing to do with the likelihood of damage or not during a lightning strike. The lightning has traveled hundreds of meters through an insulator (air) because your vehicle is the best possible path to ground.

Actually not having a metal roof makes lightning strikes somewhat MORE dangerous to the occupants. The reason that MOST vehicles are modestly safe is because static electricity (which lightning is) tends to travel outside its conductor rather than through.

Here is the answer from our Gub-mint.
Question - If you are driving and your car gets hit by lightning
will you be electrocuted? Many people say that the rubber tires will ground the
charge therefore the "safest place" to be during a storm is in your
car. Is this true? Explain!

A car is a good place to be in a thunderstorm (NOT if a tornado comes along,
though), but not because of the tires. The real reason is that the frame of
the car is metal, making a "Faraday cage." The lightning bolt will pass
through the frame of the car, and not through the interior passenger
compartment.

Richard E. Barrans Jr., Ph.D.
Assistant Director
PG Research Foundation, Darien, Illinois
By frame they mean body. Give him a break, he's a scientist, not a mechanic.

And another that says that convertibles are not safe:
http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/outdoors.htm
Old 06-09-2009, 11:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Okay so now I'm wondering top off, roll cage, lightning,...

This has got to happen at times in the mountains during the summer. Lightning is everywhere! And we'll be high up hitting the passes,...
Old 06-09-2009, 12:22 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by mmcan
Okay so now I'm wondering top off, roll cage, lightning,...

This has got to happen at times in the mountains during the summer. Lightning is everywhere! And we'll be high up hitting the passes,...
I agree. The whole point of the Faraday Cage concept is that the charge travels along the outside of the conductor (the steel body in most vehicles) and not through the conductor into the cab of the vehicle. With a Jeep, it seems to me that the "Faraday Cage" would basically include the entire interior tub if the strike hit the sportbar (or went through the top to the sportbar.)

Quick Reply: JK Hit By Lightning