Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Interior Trim

Old 08-31-2015, 09:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
That looks great! Good job!

I went black with red lettering in matte. Matches my Jeep better than the stock gun metal.

What did you do to get a clean line around the edges of the letters?
Old 08-31-2015, 09:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did it the same way I did model cars when I was a kid. Basically just slather paint in the indentation and wipe the excess off with a rag wrapped around something flat. I used a plastic spatula that you would use for shaping body filler. I also use them to apply decals. It leaves behind what is in the indentation. However, since I used a matte clear coat some residual red stayed on the clear coat. Barely noticeable but it's there. If I do them over I will use a gloss clear.

There's a thread about it on another forum but I don't remember which one.

Last edited by 14Sport; 08-31-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
I did it the same way I did model cars when I was a kid. Basically just slather paint in the indentation and wipe the excess off with a rag wrapped around something flat. I used a plastic spatula that you would use for shaping body filler. I also use them to apply decals. It leaves behind what is in the indentation. However, since I used a matte clear coat some residual red stayed on the clear coat. Barely noticeable but it's there. If I do them over I will use a gloss clear.

There's a thread about it on another forum but I don't remember which one.
Thanks! I really like the look. The solid red vent bezels are too much for my liking. I will likely give this a shot.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jgarch
Thanks! I really like the look. The solid red vent bezels are too much for my liking. I will likely give this a shot.
You're welcome. Post up a pic when you're done.

Quick Reply: JK Interior Trim