Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK or JKU? 2011 or 2012?

Old 04-01-2011, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

simple answer... 2012 JKU.

I am waiting too see what exactly the 2012 JKU turns out to be. My biggest problem with getting another a Chrysler product is the shitty service that you get with them and having the hard top leaking and death wobble issues that are just way too common on these vehicles. Not to mention squeaky/faulty clutches, engine tick's, etc, etc, LOL.

Other car companies have been making leak free convertible vehicles for decades but yet Chrysler cant figure out how to do it right.

As for the death wobble.... at the very least put in better track bar mounts, track bars and proper sized nuts and washers.

It really sucks to be putting in 30k+ in a vehicle that leaks and wobbles, lol.

I cant make my mind as I really love the Wrangler but not Chryslers quality level and service.

My 2 cents.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wrangler_Jay
simple answer... 2012 JKU.

I am waiting too see what exactly the 2012 JKU turns out to be. My biggest problem with getting another a Chrysler product is the shitty service that you get with them and having the hard top leaking and death wobble issues that are just way too common on these vehicles. Not to mention squeaky/faulty clutches, engine tick's, etc, etc, LOL.

Other car companies have been making leak free convertible vehicles for decades but yet Chrysler cant figure out how to do it right.

As for the death wobble.... at the very least put in better track bar mounts, track bars and proper sized nuts and washers.

It really sucks to be putting in 30k+ in a vehicle that leaks and wobbles, lol.

I cant make my mind as I really love the Wrangler but not Chryslers quality level and service.

My 2 cents.
I'm leaning a little more towards the JKU, especially after watching numerous videos of them on the trail. It seems with the mods I planning on doing, the JKU can take on extremely technical trails right along with the 2 dr. Not to be confused with WOL's JKU, his is what most Jeep enthusiest's could only dream of building...haha. And keep giving me your 2 cents now I only need $34,999.98 more and I can buy mine.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jesse0920
I'm leaning a little more towards the JKU, especially after watching numerous videos of them on the trail. It seems with the mods I planning on doing, the JKU can take on extremely technical trails right along with the 2 dr. Not to be confused with WOL's JKU, his is what most Jeep enthusiest's could only dream of building...haha. And keep giving me your 2 cents now I only need $34,999.98 more and I can buy mine.
lol, yeah... WOL's Jeep is insane.

Honestly I dont mean to come off negative towards the Wrangler.... by all means get the 2012 JKU.... I am thinking very seriously getting one myself. I only have one problem with the Jeep Wrangler and its Chrysler's poor quality control and lack of good service and willingness to correct what is wrong with their vehicles.

I just feel like for your blue collar worker or middle class person that spends 35K on a vehicle albeit for road only or road and trail dual use it should not wobble or leak on your head when driving it, LOL. I mean is that really too much to ask from a 35K vehicle?

I understand that the Wrangler seems to wear and tear more then other vehicles due to its nature and that certain parts need replacing earlier on the Wrangler when compared to others out their but some of the stuff you hear is just ridiculous. For example... for a Wrangler that is just used on the road should the ball joints really be going bad at 20k miles? And so on.

Its just been my train of thought the past few weeks in thinking about replacing my 08 JK with a 12 JKU... do I really want to spend 35K on one of these and still possibly have to deal with all this stuff?

Something to think about. But I sure do love the Wrangler. Its a lot of fun for a SUV on and off road and provides what no other SUV essentially can; topless and doorless fun in the sun on and off road. Not to mention its great in the snow and winter. Gotta weigh the pros and cons I guess. I just wish the Wrangler had less common issues or at the very least peace of mind that if you do get these issues that Chrysler will take care of you.

Last edited by Wrangler_Jay; 04-02-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah I owned an 89' Plymouth Acclaim and that car was bullet proof what happened to that kind of quality...haha. Just hopefully after the instalation of the aftermarket upgrades I dont get any fuss if I need to bring it in for warrenty work.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah I owned an 89' Plymouth Acclaim and that car was bullet proof what happened to that kind of quality...haha. Just hopefully after the instalation of the aftermarket upgrades I dont get any fuss if I need to bring it in for warrenty work.
yeah exactly. Well good luck with your find. But I will say my biggest mistake was buying a JK instead of a JKU. Check out some of the hardcore wheeling videos out their and you will see the JKU is every bit capable as the JK.

Im just sitting here idle in waiting mode to see what the specs, options and pictures look like for the 2012 JKU. If it doesn't pan out for myself Im just gunna get a pickup truck and trade in my 08 JK.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Depending on what your definition of "mod the hell out of it" is, you may want to consider a different route. Once you start down the path of axles, gears, lockers, performance adders, and major suspension changes, you can quickly run into warranty issues with a new vehicle. Also, in the event you buy a Rubicon, you can spend a considerable amount for the vehicle only to undo it by adding significant modifications. In this case you may want to look at a used base model to start from.

As for the two or four door, both are extremely capable, so it's really a personal choice. I currently have a modified '00 Cherokee (XJ), a modified '03 Wrangler (TJ), and a stock '11 JKU Rubicon. Although I love the TJ, I found myself driving the XJ all the time, simply because it was so practical. However, once I got the JKU it was a whole different game. Now, I hardly ever drive either the TJ or XJ. No matter what you pick, you will not be disappointed!
Old 04-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Lui
JK Enthusiast

First off I plan to mod the hell out of it and drive it hard off road not as my DD. Although I may drive it around town occasionally to show it off....

That quote sounds like a recipe for a 2door to me. I'd stick to the original body jeep. Many people's rigs are they're daily driver so extra doors for kid access and trunk space for groceries and such are a legitimate concern for many, but It's really a practical compromise considering jeeps have always been small off-road capable buggies with roots dating back to ww2.

I think it boils down to personal taste in the looks department as well as how much space you need. Even a cargo rack would solve the "space for gear scenario", and add to the "mod the hell out of it" appearance. Either way good luck on your jeep hunt.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah one thing I have decided on is I'm going to wait for the 2012's to come out. I think the extra horse's and a few more MPG's are worth the wait. Granted its a Jeep not a raced out hybrid that will turn high 11's low 10's on the 1/4 mile and get 70+ MPG's...haha Also just found out that my wife was planning on surprising me with a Jeep for my 30th b-day this week. It would have been the best gift ever but given it was going to be a surprise and she wasn't quite sure of what I wanted she decided to tell me and I'm glad she did as I have decided to wait. Not sure you can get a gift reciept with a new vehicle purchase to return it if it doesnt fit.... That being said I'm going to get some more wheel time in the JKU at work and see if thats the selection I'm going to make. Fortunately I have the rest of the year to decide and I'll probably go back n forth several more times before finally setteling.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the two door. I like the look. I like that the kids scramble atop the rear tires to hop in back when the roof is off. I like how it drives and handles. I like that 33's look good.

All this notwithstanding, if I could do it over, I'd get the JKU; it's just so much more practical.

Shovel
Old 04-03-2011, 09:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah the extra room is what is really startign to sway me. That and the fact that I havent been in a situation at work where I said to myself "man i wish i had the 2 door today!" So what if you have to 3 point a turn instead of just making a u-turn. Plus I'm hoping the extra room will help persuade my wife to become more adventuraous that way I have room for an cal-king sized air mattress and a camp toilet w/shower and microwave...haha

Quick Reply: JK or JKU? 2011 or 2012?