Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Life Span?

Old 03-15-2011, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bondsy
...Use it to run granny to her hair appointment, or the...
I dunno bout your granny, but mine would break a hip just thinking about climbing up into the ole JK, let alone having to worry about a clean dismount.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's put it this way, i'm planning on taking my grandkids for a ride in it.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:49 AM
JK Super Freak

The biggest threat to your jeep is probably the teenager texting while driving and running a red light. I got into an accident two weeks ago, thank god it wasnt with jeep, where some jackass ran a red light and I hit him as I tried to go through green light. People need to wake up pay attention. the other big killer is going to be rust.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've repaired several Chrysler minivans with this motor with over 200,000 running good. VW's new Routan van ( a Dodge minivan) has the 3.8.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:58 PM
JK Super Freak

i got an 08, with lifetime powertrain warranty, my tera flex suspension same, the gas tank, extended warranty also. flares are replaced , i have two tops, i got steel bumpers by mopar....i thing i'll be alright for a while. if the radio, mygig goes i'll change it with the latest technology around on that date., eveything else can easily be replaced, by looking at a quadratec cataloge.i'll be okay
Old 03-17-2011, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

As I stated to the salesman when I bought it, I plan on using the lifetime warranty. I will keep this vehicle for a long time, the first time they do not honor what I have in writing, the first thing to go will be the brakes as I put it back on the showroom floor that it came from!
Old 03-17-2011, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FrankTheTank
I was just thinking about maintenance and finances when I started wondering how long these JKs will last over time. I hear lots of complaints about poor quality and cheap parts on these JKs, so I'd have to guess the life span is going to be less than previous generations... I hope I'm wrong.

Any thoughts on this?
If you accept that Jeep/Chrysler is making lower quality cars than the other guys, they are still making much better quality cars than were available in previous generations. I was driving a 69 CJ5 in the mid 80s, and I had information that it was still driving in the mid 90s, almost 30 years later. I recently sold and early bronco made in 1967, it had a new everything, but should last at least 10 more years, and many more if properly maintained.
JKs should last at least 30 years if properly cared for. There will be the odd few that have significant quality issues, but there will be many more of them driving 30 years from now than there are jeeps made in 1981 are being driven now.

Tom
Old 03-17-2011, 06:10 PM
JK Junkie

I've already used my lifetime powertrain warranty with success. I had a broken gasket on my intake manifold, which caused oil to leak from the engine.

My dealer replaced the gasket, and performed a couple of minor recall items, and also replaced my gas tank... all, without a peep about my mods (at least in a negative fashion). You can see my mods in my sig, all my service advisor commented on was how much he liked my Jeep...

That said, I plan on using that lifetime warranty to Keep the Jeep around until I die. Even if it has long since out grown being my daily driver, I don't picture myself selling it.

I want to be that 80 year old guy in 2062 bringing my Jeep in for a new engine... I can only imagine that they'll look at me and tell me that Gasoline engines don't exist anymore grandpa
Old 03-17-2011, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I let my son pick the color of our jeep because it was going to be his. He was 5 when we purchased it. I'll buy him another vehicle when he graduates college. The jk will have to do until then
Old 03-17-2011, 08:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is my 3rd jeep, first one was a cherokee with the 2.5 4 banger with over 460,000 km when I wrote it off, the 2nd was another Cherokee with the 4.0 and it had 350,000km on it, sold it because it was starting to rust under neath, no holes though, and now I have a 2010 sport and I'm sure it's going to be around the same, I put about 80,000 km on a year in my last truck (1991 ford explorer, Not Stock) and I'm sure the new jk will be the best yet

Quick Reply: JK Life Span?