Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

jk long distance driving?

Old 10-27-2007, 03:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dad had that bad and he died at 66. I used to be that way, but with a great deal of will power it is not a big deal anymore. Talk to any MD and they'll tell you stop every two hours and stretch. You'll see one hell of a lot more of (y)our great country and blood clots won't have nearly as much a chance to form in your legs. If you don't believe in the blood clot thing, just ask my dad, oh wait you can't or my friend John Patton (39 yrs old, two kids just turned teens and $85 of Coumadin per month.)

I find the seats comfortable. So far my longest trip has been 8hrs driving time+ about 1 hour in stops. The thing that seems to bother me more is having metal all around me. I didn't figure that out until I got this JK with fiberglass, canvas or sky over me. Must be a psycho thing.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:28 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My furthest drive was 1250 miles, and it was a little hairy because of very high crosswinds. The hood was bouncing pretty badly, but this was before I did the vacuum hose mod and it reduced the bounce quite a bit. But the ride and seats were great and Sirus never cut out on me.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am glad to hear this I have a drive comming up that will be from Charleston, SC to Monterey CA via Pensacola, FL. Its going to be a long drive but I cant think of a better vehicle to do it in!
Old 10-28-2007, 11:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by armycop
My furthest drive was 1250 miles, and it was a little hairy because of very high crosswinds. The hood was bouncing pretty badly, but this was before I did the vacuum hose mod and it reduced the bounce quite a bit. But the ride and seats were great and Sirus never cut out on me.
Im with ya on them cross winds. They really push the Jeep around.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:21 PM
JK Super Freak

i drive 8 hours a day 5 days a week in my jeep....although i do stop for lunches, bathroom etc...i find it nice and comfy, sitting anywhere for long is tough anyways but the sirius does help!
Old 10-28-2007, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by armycop
Yup, the JK sucks in windy conditions. The hood freaked me out in the high winds too, but under normal conditions it was ok. Otherwise, no issues on long trips through the desert for me.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I go from north of boston to richmond VA here and there, no complaints
Old 10-29-2007, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bsack
We are going on a road trip soon and I inherited the drive nonstop gene from my dad. Anyone done a long road trip and how did the seat treat your back and arse? Thanks
I regularly drive 650 miles between MD and ME with and without my 4x6 box trailer. JK is better than my previous 05 Unlimited. Previous Explorer Limited had the most comfortable seats of any vehicle I have owned.

I stop every 2 hours and walk a bit. I also use a wedgie cushion and air pillow to make more changes in seat angles since only the backrest is adjustable. (stupid omission by DC). Takes from 11.5 hours to 13 hours typically.

Hills are more demanding as the auto tranny shift points, engine response and torque curve and converter lockup/unlock point are not well coordinated. One has to tickle the throttle and reach for the overdrive off button too much. i would like the OD off button to be better located since we have to use it a lot.

So long drives are doable in the JK. It is more comfortable than the motorcycle and 05 Unlimited but less than my former Explorer, F250, F350 Dually, E350.
I guess it is not bad enough for me to use another vehicle, afterall, it is my Jeep!
Old 10-29-2007, 09:25 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
I was going to say the jeep isnt bad, its the M/T's that get annoying driving long distances...

But we rented a Dodge caravan to drive to Michigan, and it had more road noise than the JK...

Good lord man, that wasnt road noise, it was other people laughing at you.

(I know, the spousal unit has a Carrotvan, i hate that @%&$^%@$#&^%@# thing)
Old 10-29-2007, 09:44 AM
JK Junkie

Drove 2500+ miles this Summer, from CT to Chicago and back again, with a stop off at The Badlands for good measure... JK was reallllly surprisingly comfortable for such a long drive: on the first day driving out there, we drove 12+ hours, and I got out at the end of the day without a sore back: this is the first vehicle I've owned that's so long-haul comfortable, and I've owned many "nice" vehicles.

Quick Reply: jk long distance driving?