Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

To JK or not to JK

Old 12-07-2006, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To JK or not to JK

In the past, I've posted a thread about my concerns........but after several great rebuttals I am back in the JK game. I've never owned a Jeep (always wanted one but weren't practical for me) and have always driven fullsize pick-ups. I offroad, sure, but more importantly - I hunt. My question to yall is...Will it take a lot of getting used to, not having that bed in the back for a deer, hawg etc..? I know there are racks that fit in the trailer hitch and that is always an option. The JK would be my all around vehicle - daily driver, 4-wheeler, hunting horse, boat tow-er etc... I have a light flats boat/skiff (Note to Northerners: Flats boat = shallow water boat/skiff ) and I'm sure the JK's 3500 lb towing capacity can handle that no problem. My question is, is there anyone out that made the transition from a fullsize pickup to a Jeep.

p.s. I love the JK and I'm leaning towards it regardless of how hard the transition is.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:58 PM
JK Jedi Master

I traded a Nissan Titan crew cab for my JK. Loved the Titan, but love the JK more. I won't be able to haul a load of fire wood or other things until I get a small trailer, but I don't care. The JK is awsome.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

I trade my 81 chevy 3/4 ton for a yj 5 years ago and never looked back. I now have a tj and now looking very closely at the jk. I cargo rack for the receiver hitch should handle your hunting needs. I got a homemade pickup box trailer from my dad to use for trips to homedepot and hauling junk to the landfill. works ok for me.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I did not trade, but I do have a Dodge diesel quad cab 4x4. I also hunt. I think there are enough racks to suppliment your space concerns. There are always some jobs that the full size truck will do better, although I also have absolutely nothing in the back most of the time. The Jeep is much more fun to drive.

Buy it.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

You'll get used to it in no time. The nice thing about a Jeep is that if you need a pickup truck, then just remove the top. I did this for years in my old Wrangler, and hauled all sorts of things around.

I haven't towed my boat yet with my JK, but after driving it for a few weeks and comparing it with my wife's Liberty I'm pretty confident that it will tow without any issues.

What kind of flats boat do you have, and where are you fishing? I grew up fishing Mosquito Lagoon for redfish.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ahh! The infamous Lagoon.....Believe it or not, I've never fished ML. I live in Jax and usually fish 5 minutes from my house - Sister's Creek. If I travel anywhere to fish I usually head up to Fernandina. I'm hestitant to go to the Lagoon, because I've never been there and wouldn't know where to start. I have a 17' ActionCraft with a 90 hp yammi. I just started fly fishing, so I definatley will NOT be going to Mosquito Lagoon anytime soon. 98% of the fishermen there are expert anglers or pretty close to it. . I saw your board (surf) in the other thread.....I've surfed New Smyrna, nearly petted some sharks there and have hung out JBs fish camp several times. . Sorry for gettin' off topic.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wish I had mine so I could give you some input. It sounds like we have similiar needs and situations. I haven't had a truck for a couple of years so I'm not really trading anything out.

I plan to use mine for hunting and I'm sure I won't have any problem fitting large game in the back. I will be towing a small trailer with an ATV on top and I'll be using the same trailer when camping to take any extra gear that doesn't fit up in the Jeep. Three Labradors will be taking some of the space in the Jeep so the extra trailer space is a must.

My fishing gear consists of a flyrod and vest right now but we have started talking about a drift boat now that we'll have a way to haul it around.

I have no doubt the Jeep will handle all of this without any problems. I look forward to putting it to the test.

Beel
Old 12-08-2006, 09:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jpaddict
Well, I did not trade, but I do have a Dodge diesel quad cab 4x4. I also hunt. I think there are enough racks to suppliment your space concerns. There are always some jobs that the full size truck will do better, although I also have absolutely nothing in the back most of the time. The Jeep is much more fun to drive.

Buy it.
I agree 100%, buy it, and get a 5x8 trailer at lowes for $800. Then you can haul stuff when you need, just like your truck bed. But when you don't you have a jeep.

Quick Reply: To JK or not to JK