Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

jk rubi front left wheel squeak

Old 10-25-2013, 10:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jk rubi front driveshaft help

So at the deer lease and have developed an annoying squeak in the left front drivers side area. Its not suspension and just started after this mornings hunt. The roads are nasty red dirt which is all over everything. Its driving me nuts. It is easier to hear driving slow but doesnt go away at higher speed just gets faster. I read the brake sliders can get dirty and squeak so I ran it by the car wash and blasted the whole area and it went away for a couple hundred yards but now seems to sound worse. I also took a can of wd 40 and blasted everything too without relief. Tried putting it in 4hi and no change and there is no change when turning left or right. Also dont see anything wrong with the dust shields on the brakes. Any suggestions on what would have caused this sudden noise.? Hope its all good because im using it for the weekend then 180 miles back home.

Last edited by Txguntrader; 10-28-2013 at 03:43 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:35 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Jack up the Jeep and turn the wheel and see if you can isolate it. I've seen U-joints, unit bearings, brakes, and wheel balance weights all cause squeaks with speed. A mechanic's stethoscope may help. Pretty inexpensive on Amazon.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:28 AM
JK Newbie

Ok jacked it up and listened while rotating tire. Pulled the tire and removed the calipers. Everything good. Traced it back to the ujoint in front of transfer case. Took the little plug out and put a zert in. Greased it then put the plug back in. Still squeaking. What else could it be? I was reading something about centering ball joints maybe that could be it?
Old 10-26-2013, 05:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd take a closer look at the wheel bearing / hub assembly. My wife's XJ made the same noise you're describing when hers went bad (a year apart from each other).

It's a pretty easy fix to do yourself.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:49 AM
JK Newbie

I jusr got home and removed the drive shaft from the diff. And its most definitely in the joint connecting to the transfer case. The question now is what's the trick to get those bolts out I have watched vids and everyone is saying 8 bolts connect it. Mine only has 4 and I can't figure out what to use to get in there to get them them off the bolt heads face the transfer case..
Old 10-27-2013, 11:57 AM
JK Newbie

Im starting to think this is already an aftermarket driveshaft. ( I bought my jeep modified and used) There is no boot on it. And the ujoint at the transfer case is a Spicer branded joint. With only 4 bolts like the front and no collar. Anybody have any ideas?
Old 10-27-2013, 03:23 PM
JK Newbie

After looking further it is a pinion yoke on the transfer case attwching to the u joints on the drive shaft. This has to be aftermarket correct? And if its aftermarket i can probably just rebuild it right? Instead of buying a new driveshaft?

Quick Reply: jk rubi front left wheel squeak