Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Tailgate

Old 09-30-2008, 06:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK Tailgate

So I'm thinking out loud here, I wonder if anybody has made or is planning on making a jeep "tailgate" like the old CJs and scramblers. Has anybody else thought of this?? I think with more and more jeepers getting bumper mounted tire carriers, I don't think it would be that far fetched. Please tell me if this is a half decent Idea or am I just smoking crack on this.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:17 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a cheap bodyshop, go for it. The hinges would have to be replaced, the old holes filled and smoothed, then some type of support bracket for the tailgate when it is down. The CJ/TJ tailgates were quite a bit narrower, so there would probably have to be a support on both sides of the JK tailgate so it won't get bent.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:22 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by lc619fr
So I'm thinking out loud here, I wonder if anybody has made or is planning on making a jeep "tailgate" like the old CJs and scramblers. Has anybody else thought of this?? I think with more and more jeepers getting bumper mounted tire carriers, I don't think it would be that far fetched. Please tell me if this is a half decent Idea or am I just smoking crack on this.
A search revealed this has been brought up several times.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
A search revealed this has been brought up several times.
I didn't search it I was just sitting at home talkin with the women about some neat things we could do to the jeep (We have such a life don't we). I saw a kit on the internet for the TJ. And was thinkin if anybody has tried doin it on a JK yet.

Quick Reply: JK Tailgate