Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK: the Toughest Stock Jeep ever built?

Old 10-27-2008, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about the toughest or strongest jeep, those words are open to each persons interpretation. I think reliability and capability are better tests. The JK is definately capable even in the stock X form. Reliability will be seen in time.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:45 PM
JK Freak

Words are subject to interpretation. Most capable I'd agree, strongest, I'd probably say that really depends on wehat components you had either by luck or knowledge onyour CJ TJ or JK. I felt that my CJ and TJ did pretty well with front end collision, can't say how the JK will be, don't want to know either. All I know is that I cant and wont be able to fix as easily or inexpensible the JK as I did with the CJ and TJ> My $0.02!
Old 10-27-2008, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
my dad can beat up your dad.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:35 PM
JK Super Freak

I feel the rubi is the toughest jeep ever. My focus is on engine, tranny, suspension, tires, capability and dependability.

Out of all of the above, the engine has the most complaints. While I wish we had a V8 or a small diesel, I don't feel my JK is slower than my TJ. Even with the weak power to weight ratio, the engine has proven to be reliable in the minivan and so far in the JK.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

The JK is my first jeep....but it hasn't giving me any real trouble and seems quite tough! I just wish my second gear was better climbing hills and that reverse wasn't so strange.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Can't really say. The only thing I have had to compare it to was an 82 cj5.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something to be said about the simplicity of the older Jeeps. I do like my JK but the amount of electronics is overwhelming. I only pray it's easy to work on these in a few years down the road if things start to misbehave once the warranty is up.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChevyM14
I am sorry, but I dont think you can ever compar a Civilian Jeep of any kind to a Military Jeep in terms being tough!

(snip)

I have a stock 1944 MB that was used in a World War and 63 years of used and is still going strong!
http://www.jeephorizons.com/news/j8_091307.html

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 10-28-2008 at 01:55 AM. Reason: hyperlink to competing forum removed - See FAQ's
Old 10-27-2008, 08:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by saltman
Come on now. That new steel foil they used for the body panels in the JK is invincible. You can lay them on the side too. The silly putty interior plastic is invincible too. Might scratch just by looking at it but it is here to stay. I like the spin they put on the axles being stronger. Sure they made them stronger but they had to since the Jeep is fatter and wider. I still see that posted like it means anything. Let's see muffler location, control arm mount location, evap can location, electric fan, poor top design (hard and soft), No crease in the hood for strength, . . . . . . . . . . . .

I don't know. I'm a little cynical but I still don't think there is much if anything that is stronger on the JK than previous Jeeps. I take that back. The JK has the thickest carpet I have ever seen.
So how do you account for the five star frontal crash safety rating? Might that have something to do with the non-solid steel hood, etc?

"Let's see muffler location, control arm mount location, evap can location, electric fan"

Ok those are interesting points. Can you expand upon that? How are the previous jeeps better in that regard?

Last edited by turtoni; 10-27-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SONIC
Toughest?
HELL no. Its probably the least tough IMO. EVERYTHING scratches and dents like CRAZY.

Most Capable?
By FAR
Ok "toughest" is subjective. Scratches and dents to the "body" are not a sign of toughness in my opinion.

Being capable of taking on whatever is the toughness i'm talking about.

Quick Reply: JK: the Toughest Stock Jeep ever built?