Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK: the Toughest Stock Jeep ever built?

Old 10-31-2008, 06:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hansonian
i can't say it's the toughest stock jeep ever. i kinda liked the simplicity of my old 69 cj5. i didn't have to worry about electronics (or comfort) and i think my old yj was pretty damn good in the cold. i would rank it right up there with the rest of them though. i don't recall as many tsb's on my yj as there seem to be for the jk, so far the jk hasn't let me down and for the terrain i go through i doubt it ever will.
I don't know about yours, but my 69 had a buick V6 (very similar in design to this one) and a chisler distributer. Problem was getting points for it, no one had them in stock. Ran across a parts dealer in the farmlands and he had three sets, I bought them all. Drove it for about 500 miles backfiring off and on, till I realized the timing was slipping, a lot of gear teeth were broken, but it ran nonetheless.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

If "toughest" = most durable, I vote for the '79 CJ-7 with the 258 I6 and T-18 tranny. Those Jeeps are built like tractors and last forever. The JK is a great vehicle, but with all the added frills, there is no doubt it will require a little more care to last 20+ years.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:52 AM
JK Freak

The strength and rigidity of the JK is twice strongest than it's predecessors, that's as far as the frame/chassis. As far as body panels it might be a different story... But body panels do very little to nothing to protect occupant in a crash actually the latest car design trend is to built lighter panels that bend during an accident to absorb some of the shock. The philosophy nowadays is to sacrifice the car in order to save the occupants.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 08RUBIJK
If "toughest" = most durable, I vote for the '79 CJ-7 with the 258 I6 and T-18 tranny. Those Jeeps are built like tractors and last forever. The JK is a great vehicle, but with all the added frills, there is no doubt it will require a little more care to last 20+ years.
I had exactly that year CJ-7...I'll agree that it was pretty durable, but up here in the north it rusted like a mother and I was constantly fixing holes and breaking bolts in an ongoing effort to try to keep it alive. PB Blaster and POR-15, the CJ's best friends!
Old 11-01-2008, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hellbilly
I rest my case.
Your honor.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by somewhereinla
The strength and rigidity of the JK is twice strongest than it's predecessors, that's as far as the frame/chassis. As far as body panels it might be a different story... But body panels do very little to nothing to protect occupant in a crash actually the latest car design trend is to built lighter panels that bend during an accident to absorb some of the shock. The philosophy nowadays is to sacrifice the car in order to save the occupants.
Indeed. Having a lump of solid steel in front of you isn't the best way to go..
Old 11-01-2008, 08:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepingib
I love the JK, but I believe this is the toughest, most capable Jeep to ever roll out of the factory with the Jeep name on it.

(snipped - another great historic picture)
Leaving the romance aside thou, the new jeep would tear this old bad boy up in a head to head off-roading challenge.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SASQUATCH
I'd agree, it could be technically debated though, I mean it's like comparing an old US Aircraft Carrier to the new Nimitz-class nuclear-powered supercarrier (USS Ronald Reagan CVN-76)...it's all relative to current technology....and stuff
Relative to what? "Reality"?
Old 11-02-2008, 05:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by amt97
Something to be said about the simplicity of the older Jeeps. I do like my JK but the amount of electronics is overwhelming. I only pray it's easy to work on these in a few years down the road if things start to misbehave once the warranty is up.
Couldn't agree more with this statement; both my '97 and '02 were far simpler and to me had a much STRONGER, RIGID, truck-like feel - and both were truly trouble-free Jeeps for me. I dunno, maybe this JK is as tough as prior models - and I'm certainly keeping it around a while - but my gut tells me to dump this vehicle at 3years/36K or I'm in for a lot of hellish repair bills post warranty (mainly due to the abundance of electro-stuff packed into this rig that i have no way of repairing myself).
Old 11-02-2008, 01:20 PM
JK Freak

Most capable..yes....toughest...ehh

Quick Reply: JK: the Toughest Stock Jeep ever built?