Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Virgin Q: How to take Doors off...

Old 06-25-2007, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once you get them off -- don't forget your mirror -- either move your stock one onto a bracket or mod a slip-in (what a lot of people do)
I guess this depends on the state you live in or where you are going to ride without the doors.
The PoPo around here are a PITA about it
Old 06-25-2007, 02:12 PM
JK Newbie

TIP

As you are removing the doors wiggle them back and forth as you lift. In other words, open and close the door as you lift and it will come out slowly with no surprises.

Plants
Old 06-25-2007, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

my driveway is on a little hill so i point up it when i take off and put on my doors so there is no chance for them to swing forward and dent or scratch anything!!!
Old 06-25-2007, 07:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

what do you mean swing it back and forth...once the bolts come out from under the hinges, shouldnt it just slide out? putting them back on must be a bitch too i take it...
Old 06-26-2007, 03:38 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took of the little torx head bolts or nuts, whatever you want to call them, and tossed them in the glovebox, they likely won't ever go back on it in my lifetime of owning it.

The door does slide out, wiggling it back and forth as you lift will help as the factory didnt really lube them very well (at least not on mine anyhow) and they do tend to stick a little (remember, it is new and the parts arent worn yet).

My drivers door (the more used and broken in of the two) came out relatively easily, even more so now that i put some lith grease on the pins.

the passenger side was a different story, i pushed, yanked, pulled, shook, and ranted at it for quite a while. I finally got my floor jack and put a short section of 2x4 on the pad, jacked it up until it JUST BARELY made contact with the frontmost part of the door under the hinges in the doorjam area at the bottom of the inner door. Then i very carefully applied pressure to the jack while lifting on the door, i only had to do it very lightly & briefly, just enough to pop it loose, (i didnt want to do it to much and misalign the door or squarsh the tinfoil, so if you do that PLEASE be careful) After doing that once, and subsequently lubing the snot out of the pins, it comes off very easily now.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by pacer89
what do you mean swing it back and forth...once the bolts come out from under the hinges, shouldnt it just slide out? putting them back on must be a bitch too i take it...
Ya on is another matter. I actually get my wife to help guide it in and it is still a pain. (NO COMMENTS HC) Off is a simple open out and lift up once everything else is done.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
I took of the little torx head bolts or nuts, whatever you want to call them, and tossed them in the glovebox, they likely won't ever go back on it in my lifetime of owning it.

The door does slide out, wiggling it back and forth as you lift will help as the factory didnt really lube them very well (at least not on mine anyhow) and they do tend to stick a little (remember, it is new and the parts arent worn yet).

My drivers door (the more used and broken in of the two) came out relatively easily, even more so now that i put some lith grease on the pins.

the passenger side was a different story, i pushed, yanked, pulled, shook, and ranted at it for quite a while. I finally got my floor jack and put a short section of 2x4 on the pad, jacked it up until it JUST BARELY made contact with the frontmost part of the door under the hinges in the doorjam area at the bottom of the inner door. Then i very carefully applied pressure to the jack while lifting on the door, i only had to do it very lightly & briefly, just enough to pop it loose, (i didnt want to do it to much and misalign the door or squarsh the tinfoil, so if you do that PLEASE be careful) After doing that once, and subsequently lubing the snot out of the pins, it comes off very easily now.
Holy Crap HC, mine just lifted out as easy as you please. I might not have pulled them if I had to go through all of that.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:14 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My procedure with a few minor embellishments:

I think taking the doors off is a snap. they arent really so much heavy to me as they are awkward to handle.

STOP:
Prep-Step 1: Get some help the first time until you get a feel for how heavy they are. Preferably someone that has done it. Not someone who had a friend who owned a Jeep once and helped him work on it (We all have one of these highly knowledgable "friends")

Prep-Step 2: CAREFULLY Remove the torx head fasteners, it is pretty easy to dent the doors with the handle of the ratchet (or the ratchet head) if you get in a hurry here. It is NOT difficult, just go slow & be careful. I would suggest to rip the top off of an old cardboard box and slide it up behing the hinge/fastener, while you are holding it up there, Remove the torx fastener - caution: do not let the head of the ratchet pry against the door, keep it straight so you dont get dents from it. If you get dents or dings, throw the fasteners at your annoying neighbor, or his dog, or his cat, or his girl, or all of them. You have four tries.

Prep-Step 3. Figure out where you are going to put the doors when they are off, and put some padding down to keep them from getting all nicked up on the edges. This is far easier to do now, then when you are wandering around with the door in your hands a few minutes from now, and all pissed off because you dinged your doors.

After those first few preparatory steps are complete, (and you yank your ratchet out of your rearend where it had been deposited for bouncing the torx fasteners of your Harley club neighbor's girlfriend... )

1. Roll down the window
2. Disconnect the power wires in the footwell
3. Remove the door strap, be carefull not to swing the door open all the way & dent your cowl. (someone mentioned parking it going slightly uphill - great suggestion!)

4. HALT! STOP! dont do anything until you stuff the electrical lead/strap into the little cargo pocket, or tape it to the door, or SOMETHING. Do Not leave it hanging there!, or you WILL step on it and do the running/stumble & shuffle retard dance around your front yard while trying to hold a door in the air and not fall flat on your face with it pretty side down on the concrete. ~ Dont ask me how I know.

5. After taping or tying or stuffing the strap/connector somewhere safely out of the way, Go get your helper. (this would be the guy pissing himself laughing at you by now - ahhh true friends, true friends..) Get a good grip on the door. This is why i said to roll down the window. For me, i reach thru the open window and grab the inside door handle/strap with one arm, while lifting up on the bottom of the door near the hinges with the other hand. Swing the door slightly in and out to rotate the pins in the hinge as you lift, it should come right out. If not, get someone that has done it to give you a hand. (Your Harley neighbor would not, at this point, be a good choice)

6. try not to drop the damn things.

7. Put them in their hiding spot and cover them to keep them all snugly warm & safe.

Putting them back on is easy: Go get them, set them in the hinges, immediately attach the limiting strap, then connect the power plug. Put the fasteners back on if you feel you must. Close the doors & drive away. Far less entertaining than removing them the first time...

seriously, it isnt hard. after you do it once or twice you will wonder why you asked. I know i did.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

LOL! Thanks man, i liked your highly educating step-by-step tutorials, (which is what i was asking for in the first place...) with a retarded, funny twist.

Q - When the Torx bolts are out and the limiting strap and power are disconnected, when im swinging the doors should i also lube up the hinges with WD40 to make it a bit easier to come off? or it doesnt really matter... Thanks to all.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by pacer89
LOL! Thanks man, i liked your highly educating step-by-step tutorials, (which is what i was asking for in the first place...) with a retarded, funny twist.

Q - When the Torx bolts are out and the limiting strap and power are disconnected, when im swinging the doors should i also lube up the hinges with WD40 to make it a bit easier to come off? or it doesnt really matter... Thanks to all.
They should be greased up and easy to move no WD needed. I would lightly grease them when I reinstall to keep them swinging and easy to remove.

Quick Reply: JK Virgin Q: How to take Doors off...