Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK went haywire.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK went haywire.

Driving to work this morning, my windshield wipers went on, then my dash lit up like a Christmas Tree, with all the indicator lights being activated. Could not shut off the wipers, could not use the turn signals, radio went on & off.
Upon arrival, I tried to pop the hood, however something was jammed into the spring release. Wedged it out... my oil cap? "495 Jeep" in Lowell dealt with my recent recall, and serviced the Jeep with an oil change (not two hundred miles ago). Well, while working a road job, I called the service department, in that they first stated, put the cap back on, call roadside assistance, say you have an oil leak, and have them bring the Jeep to the nearest Chrysler dealership (which would not be 495 Jeep). Not allowing this dealership to turf the problem onto another dealership, I spoke with his manager, explained the situation, informed him that my Jeep's engine was covered with oil spray, and it looked like I was down a few quarts. (no previous indicator lights) .With this information, the Jeep would be delivered (ramp truck only) to "495 Jeep", as roadside assistance would be apprised. Next problem, a wrecker arrives at the station, Refused the tow until a flat bed was available. So, I'll have more answers on Monday.

Last edited by Orangutan; 09-18-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not an uncommon problem. seen it here on the forum and it happened to my dad once last month. he's got a 2010 2 door sport auto with under 2k miles
Old 09-18-2010, 12:24 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Pluke the 2
not an uncommon problem. seen it here on the forum and it happened to my dad once last month. he's got a 2010 2 door sport auto with under 2k miles
Do you recall the issue/remedy? I assumed since my engine was covered with the oil residue, maybe the computer or wires got tweaked somehow. Still, I'm worried about being down two or three quarts without any warning oil/check engine light being activated.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Orangutan
Do you recall the issue/remedy? I assumed since my engine was covered with the oil residue, maybe the computer or wires got tweaked somehow. Still, I'm worried about being down two or three quarts without any warning oil/check engine light being activated.
Battery not holding a charge..

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ight=Possessed

Old 09-18-2010, 01:18 PM
JK Freak

The last post seems likely "Integrated Power Module" Thanks for finding the post. This JK only has 2900 miles on it, and has always been covered overnight, curious how this ends up, as I'm not looking for gremlins like the two other posts you located.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the only warning for oil that our jeeps have is an oil PRESSURE, indicator... oil pressure is not oil level....

think of the oil pan and pickup like a straw in a soda can that you cannot see into...

you push the straw to the bottom and suck the soda out.. you really have no idea how much soda is in the can.. you just know that each time you suck on the straw you get a steady stream of soda....

once you get near the bottom of the can you start sucking air.. at that point you know your soda can is empty.. and your drink is interrupted...

the oil Pressure light on the dash will only illuminate if your oil pickup is sucking air and therefore likely causing excessive wear / damage to the engine.... so effectively when the pan is about empty is when you will get the light..

oil pans in cars / jeeps are designed so that the oil pickup is at least several inches deep in the oil.. so that you can round corners, go up and down hills, bump around, etc and never suck air.. just oil..

being down 2-3 quarts of oil and driving normally on flat ground without fast corners, inclines, tilts, etc your oil pickup will still be sucking oil and not air.... that is why you didnt get any warning light for it..

now as to the electrical haywire.. oil in and of itself does not conduct electricity.. however run it through an engine and it WILL pickup minute amounts of metal.. esp on a new Jeep.. this will allow the oil to exhibit some conductive properties.. oil likes to travel... and so likely if there is as much oil spray as you say .. it got into some connectors / wires.. / ignition, etc and made the computer go wacky....

-Christopher
Old 09-19-2010, 06:48 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo
the only warning for oil that our jeeps have is an oil PRESSURE, indicator... oil pressure is not oil level....
oil likes to travel... and so likely if there is as much oil spray as you say .. it got into some connectors / wires.. / ignition, etc and made the computer go wacky....

-Christopher
I appreciate the comment, the service manager did say I would be responsible for the oil level, even though his employee may have left the cap off. It was up to me to check oil levels after filling up at a gas station. I replied... the last time I did this was when I owned a 1968 Buick GS-350..."fill the oil, and check the gas". So in a roundabout way, he was telling me what you just stated..., I had no warning, because the pressure wasn't effected as of yet. Nevertheless, this battery/computer module may have been damaged and/or just a coincidence..., which led to the discovery of the oil cap trapped in the spring, and my attention diverted to the low oil level. Lesson learned...
Old 09-20-2010, 06:18 AM
JK Freak

Dealership called this morning, got right on it. Recall for the 2010 computer module was extended to my 2009, installed new hardware. As far as the oil (down two quarts with oil cap jammed in hood release spring), they report no damage to engine, film on block is a coating from the factory, (made sure incident was recorded). I only hope these demons have been exorcized, as I have been alarmed as to the numerous posts of such, within this Forum. Asked about the battery, (connection/bad cell) in that they were aware of this problem also, as it was part of their checklist Thanks for the above comments.

Quick Reply: JK went haywire.