Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JKU Rolled On Black Bear (News Report)

Old 09-25-2014, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably. And definitely not paying attention. This is not a technical/crawling trail at all, but it is one you must respect. On the tightest switchback, you need to make a 3 point turn. I triple checked I was in the right gear before I moved. I think one person died there, because they thought they were in reverse and drove off the cliff.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by djlarroc
Probably. And definitely not paying attention. This is not a technical/crawling trail at all, but it is one you must respect. On the tightest switchback, you need to make a 3 point turn. I triple checked I was in the right gear before I moved. I think one person died there, because they thought they were in reverse and drove off the cliff.
Sad :(
I saw that 3 point turn on a utube video.... Parts of that trail sure does look scary and narrow. And I've done some scary ones in Moab like High Dive, White Knuckle Hill, Potato Salad Hill etc
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2934309061.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	577246  

Last edited by robsjeep9; 09-25-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

I grew up near Ouray and have been traveling these passes since I was a young kid. I first went over Black Bear pass in a 2wheel drive chevy pickup with my dad. I have since made countless trips in everything from a Subaru to modified jeeps. While this mountain deserves respect it is also a nice Sunday drive with family. This is not a rock crawler only trail, the old timers built this road for teams and wagons. Just be aware of your mountain driving experience and your skills.Ttake it easy. Beautiful scenery from up there for sure.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:36 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Todd
... Black Bear pass ... a nice Sunday drive with family. ...
I hate you. ;-) Wish we had Sunday drives like that in OK.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I hate you. ;-) Wish we had Sunday drives like that in OK.
Mark,

If you're ever out our way, I expect a head's up.

K
Old 09-29-2014, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SKT

Quoted for truth.

Just watching that short video clip proved that driver had no business whatsoever on this trail.

Instead, he should buy a Prius and keep it on pavement.

Wow...

After watching that, I don't even want that idiot on pavement. Obviously had no clue where his vehicle actually was on the trail.

I did Big Bear on my first Jeep trip to CO, and as others have mentioned, it is not technical at all, just a long downhill with some switchbacks.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That video from inside the Jeep is insane. It's almost like the guy totally intended to flip the Jeep? That is not the hard part at all, coming down towards the forced 3 point turn there is the off -camber step down that will maker you pucker up, that, from the of camber to the 3 point is the hairy section. Everything else is just a pleasure so long as your head is screwed on right.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

That is crazy. Very lucky. Someone asked about insurance. I checked with my agent from Country Companies. I'm covered off road as long as I'm not getting paid or in a competition.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:07 AM
JK Newbie

Default AmeriPrise Insurance won't cover any off road

Originally Posted by snytribe
That is crazy. Very lucky. Someone asked about insurance. I checked with my agent from Country Companies. I'm covered off road as long as I'm not getting paid or in a competition.
Hope they had good insurance
Getting quotes here in Utah the AmeriPrise (Costco) agent said if I drove "one inch offroad it is not covered"
Old 11-26-2014, 02:36 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Dbird29

Hope they had good insurance
Getting quotes here in Utah the AmeriPrise (Costco) agent said if I drove "one inch offroad it is not covered"
What does that mean? In Colorado, many of the " trails" we drive are official county roads, numbered and maintained (such as snow plowing to open passes).

http://www.fourwheeler.com/events/08...do-trail-ride/

And here. Skip to 3:25 ...

Colorado Campaign, July 2013, Part 1: http://youtu.be/yFjr3hSzEu4

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 11-26-2014 at 02:39 AM.

Quick Reply: JKU Rolled On Black Bear (News Report)