Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Just got back from the Philippines. Have you seen the Jeeps there?

Old 11-10-2010, 09:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Just got back from the Philippines. Have you seen the Jeeps there?

Jeeps in general are kit car Jeeps, essentially. Just a frame with Jeep-type body that almost resembles a Jeep in the most basic copy cat form. No detail, etc. Just an almost Jeep looking type interpretation of the body and of course no Jeep components that make it offroad worthy. They'd flip over there if they saw a real Jeep.

Jeepney- A Jeepnee is basically a taxi cab that holds 20 passengers that resembles a bus that's been chopped. It has a Jeep type hood and grill, is as long as a bus, as low as a car (everyone hunches as they cram in there) and you enter through the back. And if there's no room left, you hang on the doors and bumper or sit on the roof. It costs $.14 cents per trip. They belch diesel smoke, the gears are constantly grinding, and the driver somehow manages to drive through ridiculous traffic while changing people's money; never takes his eyes off the road. He knows exactly what you paid him, what change to give you, and does all this while driving. Amazing.

Anyone here been to the Phil's? They LOVE their Jeeps in the Phil's.

Awesome people, btw. Nicest people I've ever met.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:30 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Spent a year there at Clark, and complete Jungle Survival during Vietnam war at the base of Mt. Pinatubo. Guam, where I also lived a year and a half, is also a little loose with the use of the word "Jeep". When I was there my roommate owned a CJ. He used to point out that his was (at that time) the only real Jeep on the island.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:32 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ah.... the PI...
Old 11-10-2010, 10:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
ah.... the PI...
Old 11-10-2010, 12:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't been there since the late 70s so not sue how they look today but I think what they did to all the jeeps that got left behing after ww2 is wonderful. Every model of the jeep that was ever made is probably still running around there somewhere. I don't think anyone would know one if they saw it after the way they make them look. They just look great and I guess the key is now they are Jeepnees instead of just plain Jeeps. Sometimes you get to see some shots of them in the old 007 movies.

Just did a quick search on Bing and man they don't look anything like they did when I was there.

Last edited by genesbro; 11-10-2010 at 12:07 PM. Reason: searched on bing for recent pictures

Quick Reply: Just got back from the Philippines. Have you seen the Jeeps there?