Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JW Speaker LED lights...in a 2012?

Old 09-06-2011, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JW Speaker LED lights...in a 2012?

Anyone try putting these lights into their 2012? I wanted to do this upgrade, but it looks like those headlamps are fairly long vs the stock lamps, and given how cramped the area behind the lights is in the engine bay, I really wanted to make sure there was room before I ordered them.
Thanks!
Old 09-06-2011, 09:15 PM
JK Newbie

if the housing is the same as the 2011 you will need to grind the inner and outer housing and take a little material from the sensor area to tilt the sensor down a bit. They are way longer than stock but a pretty simple install took about 45min. I think they are well worth the cost.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fishnerd206
if the housing is the same as the 2011 you will need to grind the inner and outer housing and take a little material from the sensor area to tilt the sensor down a bit. They are way longer than stock but a pretty simple install took about 45min. I think they are well worth the cost.
I would imagine the housing is the same, and the grinding to fit part I'm not worried about. I am worried about the length vs stock! The engine bay for the 2012 is VERY cramped, and there are things packed in right behind the lights that may interfere with the installation. I was hoping someone had already taken this project on successfully...
Old 09-07-2011, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

..so...anybody?
Old 09-14-2011, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

I started the install today on my 2012. You are right the 2012...it's going to be tight. i took a dremel and enlarged the opening but, I got stumped by the air bag sensors. It's not as easy as loosing the bolt and rotating the sensor. Now the headlight buckets have 2 tabs molded in on the backside to position the airbag sensor horizontal. There is even a tab on the airbag sensor wiring harness that would have to be removed. I wouldn't mind just rotating the sensors, but with the 2012, this looks like a major modification to the sensors!!! I don't even know IF it can be done, and be SAFE.

Houston...we got a problem!

I ended up putting the stock lights back in. I'm not giving up, but like you, I need to hear from someone who has done it on a 2012.

Quick Reply: JW Speaker LED lights...in a 2012?