Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Leaking Hardtop

Old 06-28-2008, 11:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Leaking Hardtop

A slight twist on the leaking hardtop posts. The front panels on my 2 door are fine. However, I have a significant drip coming from the hole that the defroster wire comes out of in the rear. It is about a 3/4" hole and in a hard rain I get a constant drip that hits the top of the woofer and splatters everywhere. The only thing I can figure is that water is in where rear window hinge bolts to the top. I do see a seam that runs across the back of the top. It looks like this is a mold joint in the roof, but don't see any open seams. I had the jeep parkedon a slight rear to front angle so that the rain would have washed toward the front of the vehicle. I just don't see where that much water would be coming from?

Anyone fight through this one already?
Old 06-28-2008, 11:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just spent some time now that the rain has stopped looking at that seam that runs across the top and just forward of the back of the top. It does appear that this is a seam. I am able to move a pick tool into the seam at varying depths. I am sure this is where the leak is coming from. Now I am worried that the inside of the top is filling water. Guess it will evaporate. I am heading to the dealership monday morning.

Update: Went to dealership this morning. I just wanted to register the issue in that I couln't leave it with them with having to work, but the rep said they would probably caulk the seam. I am posting a picture of the seam I am talking about, but can't get my head around letting them squeeze caulk into a seam that should be sealed tight from the factory (and only 4 days old). What do you all think, and has anyone else had a leak at this spot? I have also attached a picture of where the drip comes from (the hole the defroster wire comes from).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2234.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	10409   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	10410  

Last edited by kflash; 06-30-2008 at 03:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Leaking Hardtop