Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Learn me a JK thing or two...

Old 12-04-2012, 07:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Learn me a JK thing or two...

Hey guys and gals, new to JK's BUT not wheeling. I currently own an XJ, locked F/R, 4:1, 33's, bumpers, armor, winch, blah blah blah. Its legit but its time to move on. XJ's are getting old and I want something newer... So its time to get a JK. I've been trying to do research and see what I want. Seems to me used JK's hold their value quite a bit and I'm not looking to buy a 70k mile used car for 20 grand or what ever. Everyone says get a 3.6 NOT the 3.8. I've narrowed it down to buying a new 4 door Sport S and fixing it up...or a new 4 door Rubicon. I know its like a 10 grand difference in price but mainly I know I'll end up modding the hell out of it and a lot of stuff might get replaced anyway. My only thing about buying a Rubicon is they have way better resale value, if I ever sell it, AND I could armor it up, do minimal mods and enjoy it for a few years before doing anything major.

As far as reliability is there anything I should be concerned about with JK's? Also, what are common mods? Can I really buy a Rubi, get fenders and run 35's? How about lifts, I like 37's on 4.5 inchs of lift but are long arms needed or do people run short arms? I've been wheeling for 6 years, a mechanic for 7 and I feel lost, lol. Any input would be greatly appreciated and would help my buying decision.

Regards,
Alex
Old 12-04-2012, 12:01 PM
JK Newbie

Going through this thread (below) in the Modified Tech forum will get you a long way towards understanding JK specific mods and what is needed to do them.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...bie-has-18617/

Then ask around that same forum. There are lots of helpful folks on here.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

For me the questions were -

Do you need stronger front axle and lockers? if yes, get the Rubicon
Will you replace stock axles and lockers with aftermarket? If yes, get sport or sahara and build up.

And definitely get the 3.6!!!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:23 PM
JK Newbie

If you want 37s and don't want to be afraid about your axles breaking all the time then the Rubicons not going to make a difference anyway. Some people get away with it for a while but you'll probably end up having to get new axles at some point anyway.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest benefit in my mind to a Rubi is the transfer case. The other differences are covered under normal heavy modding but a new lower geared t case is pricey. It is a common misconception that the Rubi axles are stronger, they aren't other than the ring and pinion. The Rubi has a bigger diff with room for a bigger ring so you can gear higher and keep a bigger/stronger r&p.

The tubes and C's are the same as the sport. If you want 37's and are going to "use" it on the trail you will want an aftermarket housing or at least new shafts and gussets anyway.

Last edited by keithvegas; 12-04-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you have the money get a rubicon. Gears,lockers,transfercase and a Dana 44 up front is worth the money.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by keithvegas
The biggest benefit in my mind to a Rubi is the transfer case. The other differences are covered under normal heavy modding but a new lower geared t case is pricey. It is a common misconception that the Rubi axles are stronger, they aren't other than the ring and pinion. The Rubi has a bigger diff with room for a bigger ring so you can gear higher and keep a bigger/stronger r&p.

The tubes and C's are the same as the sport. If you want 37's and are going to "use" it on the trail you will want an aftermarket housing or at least new shafts and gussets anyway.
The rubi axles are stronger than the stock. D30 have 1310 universal joints and are 27 spline. Regular D44's have 30 spline and 1310 universals. Rubi axles are 32 spline with 1350 universals. The rubi D44's are almost the strenght of old style D60's axle shafts, the housing is WEAK They are the same in either standard D44 or Rubi.

Quick Reply: Learn me a JK thing or two...