Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Leather???

Old 11-17-2008, 02:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leather???

It seems like lots of the big jeep builders are using Leather in their rigs...

I always thought leather was the last thing you'd want in a jeep... What happens if it gets wet??? Doesn't the sun break down the leather???

I have pleather (Iggee) covers in mine now, and Love them... but real hide sounds nice too....
Old 11-17-2008, 03:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it depends on the quality of the leather. If it is good it will last forever, if not it will crack. And leather can be treated to be water proof. I think the only down side is that it gets hot in the sun.

I plan on getting leather shortly once my wallet allows it. I hate the "yes" stuff.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had leather in my old 02 Grand Cherokee LTD. Hated it. Hot and slimy in the summer. The only thing that made it bareable in the winter was the heated seats. I'll take cloth seats anytime
Old 11-17-2008, 08:20 PM
JK Super Freak

In our store we sell very high end western cowboy boots. Years ago my DH also had a boot/saddle repair. Leather will not last forever, it dries up and cracks, but the effects of aging can be slowed way down by using leather conditioners. In our Caddy I didn't like the initial "shock" of sitting on a cold leather seat in the winter but in moments it takes on body temperature and is very comfortable. The same is true if the hot sun heats it, it is extremly hot when you first sit on it but again it adjusts to body temperature very fast.

As for comfort, it can't be beat, that is why it is so popular. A good high quality cowboy boot made of leather molds around your foot for a "custom" feel and feels wonderful once "broken in". A boot made of synthetic components won't change shape so your foot has to conform to the the boot. Thus less comfort. Leather stains from spilled drinks, dirty dog feet, kids shoes, spilled french fries, muddy water, etc. Leather can be made water "resistant" but not water "proof". If you wear leather boots constantly in water they will leak unless you use heavy grease or have leather that is factory impregnated with silicone. Just look at a good pair of leather dress shoes after a few years of walking in rain, etc. Leather is leather wether it is gloves, coats, or shoes. What hurts these items will also hurt leather seats.

My opinion is leather is best in sedans. If your Jeep will carry dogs, play in the mud, and have the top off, leather is not for you. It will age, crack, and wear out. It is expensive and unless you have deep pockets and give it constant care, I wouldn't recomend it.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well my pockets aren't very deep, but the leather interoir of our 2008 Four door Wrangler, do get constant care with Simonize Leather conditioner. The same that was used on the leather in our 1998 - 5.9 Grand Cherokee ; that was sold last year, with leather that was soft and looked like new (no cracks).
Leather is an option that is expensive, but I wouldn't expect anything less in a quality built Jeep like our Sahara.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Vinyl...all the way!

Old 11-18-2008, 09:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by john3364
Attachment 15715

Attachment 15716

I had this installed a couple of months after i bought the jeep through the dealership i work for , It is katzkins leater seats it seems to be holding up very nice .
I really love the look of leather, always like leather
I think you can find pros and cons with just about any material, I say use what suits you

Quick Reply: Leather???