Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Led lights

Old 09-15-2013, 03:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Led lights

Dumb question but I'm new to this so ill ask anyways . I just bought some led lights but I need a 12 v power where would be the best place to get it from without messing up anything ?
Old 09-15-2013, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jabarnett
Dumb question but I'm new to this so ill ask anyways . I just bought some led lights but I need a 12 v power where would be the best place to get it from without messing up anything ?
What is the purpose of the lights? If auxiliary style lights for the exterior, I would run them directly to the battery with an internal switch to control them.
For the interior to light up the foot wells, I ran mine to my mirror adjuster knob in the lower dash bc it can be dimmed with the rest of the interior lights.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:24 PM
JK Newbie

Wow good info and no relays
Old 09-15-2013, 08:12 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow good info and no relays
No u will still need a basic Aux relay that u can get at any auto parts store & an in line fuse
Old 09-15-2013, 08:16 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RavenZ33
What is the purpose of the lights?
And how many/ what size are the lights? If it's something like a footwell light then you don't need a relay since it doesn't add that much draw to the system. If it's a 50" bar then use a relay and a fuse.

Details......

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-15-2013, 08:28 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tapped my foot well led strips into the dome light wire. Clean and painless.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:51 PM
JK Newbie

It's the waterproof leds string that I bought from eBay very bright but just asking how to hook up , don't sound to hard , I do want to do the dome light so they go on when the dome lights do seems cool and one little strip under hood ,
Old 09-15-2013, 10:09 PM
JK Newbie

They are the water proof leds string that u can get from ebay they seem easy . I want to do the dome one sounds easy and cool to do and would like to put a string under the hood for light
Old 09-16-2013, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

My footwell lights that I installed, I wired them directly into the control switch for my mirrors. Which makes them dimmable with the remainder of the lights. However a light bar I would run directly to the battery and run a control switch inside the cab. Wiring it directly to the battery you don't need to worry about flickering.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RavenZ33
My footwell lights that I installed, I wired them directly into the control switch for my mirrors. Which makes them dimmable with the remainder of the lights. However a light bar I would run directly to the battery and run a control switch inside the cab. Wiring it directly to the battery you don't need to worry about flickering.
No. I definitely would not advise to run them directly to that battery with a single switch to control them. You need to install a 12v relay to wire them appropriately. Depending on the wire used and load on the circuit, wiring them directly to the battery could create excessive heat and cause a potential fire.

Quick Reply: Led lights