JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Locking up a hard top when off (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/locking-up-hard-top-when-off-349272/)

Dat 02-06-2019 11:33 AM

Locking up a hard top when off

Just say you head out of town on a road trip, you get to the beach house or cabin and you want to take the top off and ride around, but not really comfortable about leaving your top, is there a way to secure it to keep folks honest?

resharp001 02-06-2019 11:47 AM

I'm not certain there's a great way to do this unless the destination has a garage or some enclosure to store it in. I hate soft tops, but this is one of the rare times I think soft tops become useful. Might be worthwhile to just keep an eye out for a reasonably priced soft top for such an occasion.

Jeep in the West 02-07-2019 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dat (Post 4335691)
Just say you head out of town on a road trip, you get to the beach house or cabin and you want to take the top off and ride around, but not really comfortable about leaving your top, is there a way to secure it to keep folks honest?

You could maybe run a steel cable through the bolt holes on the hard top, and secure the cable to a tree with a padlock? It's not going to stop someone with some bolt cutters, but it might stop the neighborhood kids from running off with it?

Rednroll 02-09-2019 05:18 PM

Tie a pitbull to it would be your best bet. Other than that, if someone wants it bad enough they're going to take it. Really though, it's going to have to be someone with a pick-up truck and at least 2 people to lift it. It seems like a very unlikely scenario especially at a beach house.

jdinny 02-28-2019 09:48 AM

Really no way to secure it outside, other than a bad ass dog

icrashbikes 02-28-2019 11:12 AM

I'd throw a tarp over it. At least it would look big enough to possibly come across as "probably too much trouble to steal".

cedarraider 03-05-2019 12:32 PM

If you tie a pit to it I'll come play with the dog put him in my Jeep and run over your top when I leave.

resharp001 03-05-2019 03:38 PM

I'm not a big, you live a jeep "lifestyle", or you don't, but to me this is just part of having a jeep.....have to throw a little caution to the wind. Soft top or topless, have to plan on some fool stealing what is left behind. Top off, have to plan on it being hot or it rains. I think the biggest thing is we see what it costs to replace something......others don't see the same value or they see a major pain to steal. There's a reason stone businesses don't have to lock up boulders at night....or pallets of flagstone. :rotflmao2: Absolute worst case scenario in a situation like this is there is a theft, and it rains on the way home. Not the worst thing thing in this crazy world we live in.

Dat 03-06-2019 05:06 PM

Yeah, I guess I worry too much, insurance should cover most of it anyway if it did happen.
funny thing is, when at work or at home, or at places around home, I don't worry about it