Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Looking for a good mechanic in Colorado Springs

Old 08-16-2022, 03:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a good mechanic in Colorado Springs

I bought my daughter a 2012 Wrangler and it has a very slow oil leak. From all the research I've done, it appears that this is a common problem associated with the oil filter mount. There is a chance that it may be the rear main seal, but apparently this oil filter mount problem is incredibly common - some sort of design flaw.
We just moved to Colorado Springs a few weeks ago, and I don't know anyone one who can give me any advice on where to take it.
The only thread I found regarding this on this forum is from 2011. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 08-17-2022, 04:59 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

There is an off chance that someone from your area chimes in. If not I would say this. My dad lives up in Florissant and on one of my visits I broke my rear TB mount on the axle. I had to, in a pinch, find a new mount that I could weld on and in short order. I ended up finding Predator 4 Wheel Drive there off of Nevada Ave. Drove down into the springs and grabbed the bracket. I was actually pretty impressed with the guys there as we talked through a couple of decent options they had for me in stock. I was going to suggest maybe reaching out to a few niche places like that and see if they had a suggestion, but as I pull them up on google I see they were not only parts but a service center as well. I only have that one interaction with them but I was left with a positive vibe based on my experience. I've been to that Jeep dealer there in town too so they could bend me over and stick it to me for a couple $10 bolts.

Dollars to donuts it's that oil cooler assembly, or o-rings to that, more that it is the rear main seal. Just don't see the RMS going on these 3.6L that I can ever recall. Not to say there's zero chance it's that, but it's highly unlikely.

These units can be a little hard to come by these days. Dorman makes an aluminum unit now that some folks have been using. If you look at the fitment I think you'll see that one is only good for '14+, but that is because they changed the oil filter bypass in those things after '13. You can technically still use that aluminum Dorman, I am 99.9% sure, but you then just need to make sure you always use the corresponding oil filter for '14+ as well. That oil bypass located at the top of the post in the oil filter housing was a huge issue in '12 and '13 which is why they redesigned that small part of the assembly.

Quick Reply: Looking for a good mechanic in Colorado Springs