Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Is the LSD beneficial in sand?

Old 05-31-2007, 10:31 AM
pup
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the LSD beneficial in sand?

So in my hunt trying to find a Jeep before Monday, the dealer is telling me that all the Jeeps with the options that I want are sold. One of those options was the Trac-Loc limited slip rear diff. I plan on taking my Jeep (if I ever find one) up to Silver Lake sand dunes, and I was hoping to have a rig that would at least be capable in that environment. Does the stock LSD have any benefit in the sand, or does the electronic traction control do a sufficient job of propelling the Jeep through the soft stuff?

Right now, the lack of the LSD is a deal-breaker in my eyes. Is this flawed thinking, and will the open diffs be acceptable in sand (and mud)?
Old 05-31-2007, 11:09 AM
JK Newbie

I dont have traclock on mine and had no problem recently taking it on Loose Sand. Actually i was advised in another thread that in loose sand/beaches the ESP should be taken off. Was fine before i deactivated it, with a little feeling of "skipping", when i deactivated the ESP, was like a different Jeep...handled awesome.

Last edited by angrisani20; 05-31-2007 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:32 AM
JK Newbie

Just took 5 mins and did a Jeep.com search of vehicles near and around SE michigan. I dont know exactly where u are from, but at a dealer located 47.7 miles from Battle Creek MI in Angola Il (Dunham Motors) they have a Red Unlimited X with Sirius, Dual Top and Trac-lock for 26800. (i think u want a 2 door but dont discount the 4)

Orin B Hayes in kalamazoo (sp?) also has a 2 door flame red without Trac Lock for just over 23.

Maybe this helps....

Last edited by angrisani20; 05-31-2007 at 11:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Is the LSD beneficial in sand?