Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Mall Crawlers = Great Used Jeeps

Old 12-22-2011, 10:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mall Crawlers = Great Used Jeeps

Just wanted to give a little props to all the "mall crawlers" out there. I have had my Jeep for about 7 months now, 2008 X JKU bought used with about 50K on it. I am pretty sure the top was never removed much less the Jeep ever off road. I have removed my top and put it back on countless times and no leaks. My Jeep doesn't burn oil or any of the other complaints I've heard of, maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones. I do take it off road and it does awesome wherever I go, mostly beach trips nothing really extreme. Again a bigto the mall crawlers, thank you
Old 12-22-2011, 11:46 PM
JK Freak

My 09 has 50k on it, doesn't burn any oil and is in great shape inside and out. I get comments wondering if it is a new "car". Tops have been on and off, switched back and forth probably 200 times.

Long story short, I just think this is a great vehicle. Mine probably looks like a (pathetic) mall crawler, but it has at least 7k of washboard, at least 3k of dirt/sand/deep snow/ice, but probably only 20 miles or so "rough to me" stuff.

If I was buying used I would prefer the pavement queen - but these vehicles are the real deal. They can handle all the rough stuff and still be great.

So I agree with you kinda. Because a gently used and pampered vehicle is always better, but Wranglers don't need kiddy gloves to remain great vehicles.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:58 PM
JK Newbie

Agreed, but same as you when I brought it home everyone thought I bought a new Jeep and it was three years old.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is my first jeep (2012). But I'd like to have a work horse eventually that isn't my DD (may be this one in a few years). Either way, if I pick up a used one to transform in the future, common sense will steer me toward the Jeep a little old couple drove to church on sunday (or the mall on black Friday).

Kind of like the old saying about men and women. "He wants to be her first, she wants to be his last."
Old 12-23-2011, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Your welcome, I don't even like to drive my 2012 Jeep.... its kinda crazy.. but i just wanted to have it.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:17 AM
JK Super Freak

A friend of mine was buying a used JK and my advice to him was to crawl under and look at the skid plates. If they are all banged up, keep looking for a different one. You want a mall crawler if you’re buying used. THEN take it out on the rocks and have fun!
Old 12-23-2011, 06:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by smokediver
Agreed, but same as you when I brought it home everyone thought I bought a new Jeep and it was three years old.
Same here, I scooped a 2008 mall crawler with 29k on the odometer. Look(ed) brand new, showroom fresh. Appeared as if this thing never saw a dirt road or had the top off. Needless to say I have put a few trail dents and "pin striping" on it since it became mine. I am hoping my next will be a Rubicon Mall Crawler. Long live the mall crawlers!

Quick Reply: Mall Crawlers = Great Used Jeeps