Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Manual or Automatic for heavy wheeling

Old 05-06-2008, 12:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual or Automatic for heavy wheeling

looking to get a JK but am stuck on which way to go for trans. This rig will be used for 50% offroad with planned long arm and 37's with lockers. Any benefit to going with one or the other? I would think the auto would make life a lot easier on steep inclines. thanks for the help.

Ken
Old 05-06-2008, 03:35 PM
JK Newbie

It all depends on what Trans you're used to, Both have they're pro and cons. My 08 JK was the first Manual tranny i ever drove so i'm definately a rookie w/ a clutch, but was suprised on how easily the JK climbed while in 4wd low! My Sonoma i wheeled prior to purchasing was an auto and wheelin it was a cake walk yet somewhat tiresome as you just pick your lines and gas it . clutchin off-road definately adds a different yet enjoyable perspective that can allow you to be more 'part' of your vehicle therefore noticing how your rig reacts to different situations. you may find it 'torquier' with a manual, which is a real bonus on rocks, yet the Auto is better for preventing unwanted mud/water out of the transmission pending on what terrain you're running.
so in all, go with what you're comfortable and the personal benefits will be noticable! i won't be going back to an auto anytime soon but that's just my $0.02.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:48 PM
JK Super Freak

I prefer Manual!
Old 05-06-2008, 03:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only because of all the problems people have had while in mud with their manual trans/clutch if you are going to wheel that much and are planning on going thru mud/water I would go with the auto.

My last jeep was a manual, my jk is a auto, I Love Mud and glad I got a auto
Old 05-06-2008, 04:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tkob1060
Only because of all the problems people have had while in mud with their manual trans/clutch if you are going to wheel that much and are planning on going thru mud/water I would go with the auto.

My last jeep was a manual, my jk is a auto, I Love Mud and glad I got a auto

x2 and for the same reasons
Old 05-06-2008, 05:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would feel like a cheater with an auto!
Old 05-06-2008, 06:02 PM
JK Super Freak

i've always had a stick in my jeeps or my little yotas. Auto's in the big trucks. I thought it would be un jeep of me to get an auto... but then again.... the 4 door seemed un jeep to me at first too... so... I went with the auto... i'm just sick of shifting when sitting in traffic. If I could aviod the bumper to bumper forever.. i would have gotten a stick.. but ... i'm consitantly stuck in the ruff in and around boston. That and when my father drove my last jeep.. he blew a brand new clutch in less than a week.... lol. I also will not miss the clutch when yanking the big boat up a steep ramp.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered a manual. For on road driving and mild off roading it's definately my preference. I hate slush boxes. If I was into hardcore offroading (rock crawling - think moab) I'd probably prefer an auto.

One downside of an auto is that it's easy to overheat them. I know a lot of liberty guys complain their trans temp lights come on when in 4-low on the trail (same trans 42RLE).
Old 05-06-2008, 10:56 PM
JK Newbie

i thought i could contribute to this thread....im in the army and every military vehicle ive seen including humvees are automatic. i have driven through every type of terrain here in afghanistan and must say it would have been more difficult doing it in a manual transmission. i have an auto in my JK which i will see for the first time when i get home from afghanistan in 4 days hope this helps....
Old 05-07-2008, 05:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by putnam dan
the army uses auto as part of the specification because there are many many drivers and its harder to break. That water in a manual is a big issue is a joke, this has been the case since transmissions were first created and is easy to deal with.
Exactly. The water thing has been around since Manuals and it's just the way it is. It isn't a big issue, it's easy to deal with.

I have a manual because It's what I like. Sure, it can require more skill at times but it's what I like. If it's your DD I would go with what will make you most happy during the DD time.

Quick Reply: Manual or Automatic for heavy wheeling