Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Manual Transmission Problem????

Old 12-27-2009, 08:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my 08 in Friday, for this problem, and while I was talking to the Service Manager, one of the tech's came in and said that there is currently no fix for the coming out of first gear problem and they were told not to replace anymore transmissions until Jeep figures out what is causing the problem. I told them I want assurance that if they don't come up with a fix before the warranty is up that they will still fix my jeep when a fixed is found. I hope to get my jeep back in a couple of days. Please let me know if anyone and better information.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My rubicon started doing this. I thought it was just a fluke. until it started doing it more and more. I know how to drive a stick. I have never had a automatic. When that first gear pops out, it scares the S out of me. Especially if I am turning and there is traffic comming at me.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:54 PM
JK Newbie

Default Noise

I would very strongly suggest that you follow the following steps to determine what to do next. This is my story.
I have an 08 rubicon 4dr with a current odometer reading of 26,300 miles. At about 12500 miles I did something I rarely do, I put the hardtop on and turned down the music for my wife as we took a trip south. :P
I began to hear a noise that sounded like marble being fired at metal. Imagine, not all the marbles are the same size. Some are large and make a loud noise, and others when fired are small and may sound like three hitting a metal plate and this rhythm varied.
In the course of time the noise became louder. I noted that the noise always began in second gear and started around 2500-2900 rpms. Also, it was more likely to happen when the engine was in 6th gear and under a load.
Soon after, a few weeks of hearing the sound I was coming thru an intersection, the light had changed and the tranny pooped out of gear. It was so loud and forceful I thought someone had rear-ended me.
Well, I went to the dealer but my reason was for the noise. My thought was that the noise was from the transmission and somehow tied to the throwout bearing.
The dealer had my jeep for one week and never could find the problem. On the last day they called to tell me it was spark rattle and that the intake had tons of carbon.
Long story short, they claimed to do an intake flush and told me to switch fuels. I did and the sound would come and go. After 11 months I experienced a number of these problems and recently the tranny came out of third gear. So with all this rattle and problems with the shifter I took it to the dealer but another location. I explained that with only 4000 miles left on the warranty I wanted and answer and I told them what the other location told me, that I had nearly and year of fuel receipts and that once again I believed it was the transmission.
Yesterday they called and said that the trans was the problem and they were rebuilding it.
So, listen for sound and use my story if you must. I might add that there is a lemon law in most states if not all. Virginia, where I live, covers the vehicle for 18 months but I'm late on it. The vehicle must have been in for service on the same problem 3 times with out a resolution. If so, you file a certified letter and Jeep must reimburse the original value or replace the vehicle.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's the synchro and it was happening to my 08 with 34,000 miles on it. I brought it in and they ended up having to replace the whole transmittion. This was about a month ago. Last week I brought it in because the hard top was leaking. Now with 35,000 miles, I brought it in again today because there were spots on my driveway. Turns out my radiator now has to be replaced because it is leaking. How do these things know when the warranty is about to be up? Thank God I bought mine during the lifetime powertrain warranty.

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission Problem????