Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Manual Versus Automatic Transmission

Old 09-09-2008, 10:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Versus Automatic Transmission

I going to pull the trigger soon on a new jk rubicon unlimited. I'm torn between stick vs auto. I've been driveing a auto for years, but it seems a jeep should have a stick. What are opinions of the auto and stick specifically in the JK. I;ve only test driven the auto so far as thats all the local dealer had.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Flip a quarter, the results are usually 50/50 for this question.

I have an Auto, because that is what she told me i wanted.

... funny, coulda swore i wanted standard.

Opps, hit enter to fast. If i where you, i would hit some more dealers and test drive everything, then you'll never wonder.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:26 AM
JK Freak

I have an auto. I've driven manual sports cars for years, but was tired of shifting. I hate having a manual and being in traffic. If you off-road a lot, you might find the manual a little more fun and technical. I have had not problems with my auto when off-roading. If you have a wife/girlfriend who wants to wheel but can't drive manual, the auto is even more of an advantage. That is, if you're willing to share...
Old 09-09-2008, 11:31 AM
JK Newbie

Thats one of the main pluses of the manual, my wife was less likely to drive the jeep
Old 09-09-2008, 11:34 AM
JK Freak

Good points above. If you're doing more rocks, IMO an auto is nice to have. Otherwise a manual is good for just about anything. The Rubi with 6spd and 4.10s has no shortage of power, though to say it has plenty is a bit of a stretch...
Old 09-09-2008, 12:00 PM
JK Super Freak

if you have a manual dont shift while your in deep water....
Old 09-09-2008, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Personally I like manual but there are some who really like the auto. Test drive them both and see which 1 you like better.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:21 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I've always driven manuals--except my Trans Am, which was virtually unavailable as a standard (actually, they were, just very difficult to find that year). Anyway, I taught my son on a manual. The other day he had to drive a truck for a friend of mine--auto. He's been driving for three years. His comment to me: "Dad, how can people drive automatics? There's no control of engine speed to allow you to control the vehicle. It was scary, especially in turns when the transmission never seemed to be putting the right amount of torque to the wheels!"

Serious road and race cars (except drag) have manuals. Having said that, it should be patently obvious that the JK is not a road or race car. However, it does handle pretty good, provided you can use the engine speed and torque to help get you through turns. And remember: My "other car" (sorry, kitty) is a 1979 Tenth Anniversary Edition Trans Am. I understand and appreciate good handling.

Another advantage of manuals: Pop the clutch when you drain the battery while using that winch to get yourself out of some jam.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Drive both, then get the manual.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:48 PM
JK Super Freak

I have driven a manual transmission in the "cars" I've owned for years. My first "offroad" vehicle was the Jeep Patriot with the CVT automatic transmission. I absolutely hated it. It was pretty boring and when offroading it offered no protection when going downhill. We were heading down a steep offroad grade one time and for some reason the brakes stopped working and the only thing that stopped us from going off a cliff was by steering eradically and the brakes magically came back on. I was thinking to myself that with a manual the engine keeps you from speeding down a mountain. This is even more the case with the low transfer case ratio of the Rubicon. So I immediately traded my "Off road capable" Jeep Patriot in for an Unlimited Rubicon with the 6 Speed Manual. I couldn't have been happier with my choice. Now I don't even have to use my brakes when going down steep hills off road. Just put her in low and you just crawl slowly down even some of the steepest grades. In town it's way funner to drive and feels more like a Jeep should. The gas mileage is slightly better than with an automatic too. When modifying the Jeep (such as adding a lift) you don't have to take apart the automatic transmission skid plate so some modifications are easier with a manual. It is a little awkward sometimes when rock crawling and if you're a novice stick-shift driver I could see that making it very difficult but once you get the hang of it you can't see yourself driving any other way.

Quick Reply: Manual Versus Automatic Transmission