Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Manual VS Auto - The Official 6 Speed Pride thread!

Old 03-06-2011, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have shifted enough gears driving log trucks during my early years to last me a lifetime. Two stick Mack Tri Plex 15sps and 18 spd quadra plexes. So for my Jeep its an auto trans. At least it won't jump out of 1st like some 6 speeds have been doing.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad I got the 6 speed in my 2010 Unlimited.
If I could go back in time and get an automatic for free (instead of an extra $850) I'd still go with the stick.
I've gotten 20+ MPG (as shown by the computer) driving back & forth to work on my current tank with only about 1,800 miles currently on the odometer and yes I do have 4WD.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Torrin

Jeep makes an automatic Wrangler? That must have been on the ladies side of the dealership. I would never consider owning a fine sports car or a Jeep that was an automatic.
Originally Posted by jwhitehorn

It comes standard when you order 2WD
Ahahahaa! This is the model with the pamphlet that tells you where to hide your reefer right?
Old 03-06-2011, 05:14 PM
JK Junkie

I thought all jeeps were manual transmission???
Old 03-06-2011, 05:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by NH-JK
6-speed JKU. Because automatic jeeps are just plain wrong! Would you buy an automatic Lamborghini!!!!! NOPE.
That has got to be the funniest thing I've seen in one of these threads - a JEEP compared to a Lamborghini!

Wait, wait, maybe the engines are the same, or the sleek aerodynamic profile, or road handling, I found a link to one: ww.aventador.com/index-eng.html. Nope, I think the engine in the Lamborghini is a little more powerful plus it’s in the rear, nope the Lamborghini doesn’t quite look like a brick way up on wheels, nope I think the Lamborghini would smoke any Wrangler on the street - straightaway and especially turns. A Jeep on the other hand is made for off-roading. At best a driver in a Lamborghini can look at a dirt road from a paved parking lot.

I personally like driving a manual transmission on the road and would love to have that Lamborghini for my DD. Every car that I have ever purchased that had an option for a manual transmission (including my current DD) had a manual transmission. I still like downshifting into curves and coming to a stop, and up shifting when I want to. I still think its fun.

When I’m driving off-road (the only reason why I purchased a Jeep), I tend to go a lot slower than in my car. I tend to not have to downshift into turns, and typically I’ve manually shifted into 1st because I’m trying to crawl over an obstacle or in 3rd as I’m cruising to the next obstacle. I don’t worry about getting dirt/mud/junk into my clutch when I hit a water crossing, and when I’m on a really hairy obstacle I can use my foot on my brake and my other foot on my gas if I want to. I have great gears for crawling up and down hills in 1st, and don’t need to touch the brakes going down a steep incline.

The group I go wheeling with has a mix of automatics and manual transmissions. The guys with the automatics don’t laugh of the manual guys when they stall on an obstacle, burn up their clutch, or get junk in their clutch. The manual guys don’t laugh at the guys with the automatics if their transmission overheats, or if they have to use their brakes because of improper gearing.

I think most of the “comments” in threads like these are from “web wheelers”, as I know they wouldn’t be welcome in the groups I wheel with.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default No Slip

Originally Posted by rvator
I have shifted enough gears driving log trucks during my early years to last me a lifetime. Two stick Mack Tri Plex 15sps and 18 spd quadra plexes. So for my Jeep its an auto trans. At least it won't jump out of 1st like some 6 speeds have been doing.
Never had mine slip out of 1st or any other gear since Oct 07. I don't "hate" automatics... but the six is more fun to drive in my humble opinion, and yes its a DD
Old 03-06-2011, 07:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheQuiet1
These pointless threads seem to pop up over and over again. Seems there is no point other than to start a shit fight. I would probably give them more credit if they weren't all started by kids and Canadians
Maybe you should stay out of a&e and remain "TheQuiet1"
Old 03-06-2011, 08:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have already accepted the fact that I drive a Hummer, so I will pose this question. Is a 2 door automatic more of a Jeep than a 4 door manual?
Old 03-06-2011, 09:06 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TheQuiet1
These pointless threads seem to pop up over and over again. Seems there is no point other than to start a shit fight. I would probably give them more credit if they weren't all started by kids and Canadians
Originally Posted by Harbourone
Maybe you should stay out of a&e and remain "TheQuiet1"
X2
Old 03-06-2011, 09:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joe002
That has got to be the funniest thing I've seen in one of these threads - a JEEP compared to a Lamborghini!
Well we have the same radio as a Ferrari !! ( MyGig)

Earlier today I was looking at the 2011 Charger... I want to get a car after the Jeep is paid off. All the Chargers on the lot were auto's. I asked the sales rep about a manual and he just chuckled and said no manuals in the Chargers. I just walked away with out another word.

Quick Reply: Manual VS Auto - The Official 6 Speed Pride thread!