Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Mercedes G 4x4 Concept.... Wish Jeep would start thinking this way

Old 02-24-2015, 03:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jk_sea
I see these pop up all the time. The majority of the discount is just dealer cash. They're trying to blow out inventory they don't want. It's the "loss leader" concept. We have big dealers around here and I can only imagine that they have to order so many of each model config because the base Jeeps seem to sit around forever and they're always steeply discounted.. When they have to order base models, they get rid of them to make way for more profitable inventory. Otherwise I doubt they'd ever order them. This is exactly how I bought my 2012 Sport. It had MSRP of 28k+ destination and there was like a $1000 rebate from Chrysler at the time, plus $4k+ in dealer cash off MSRP. It was a great deal because it was one of the oldest inventory units on the lot so they were happy to get rid of a brand new, 6 month old Jeep with 28 miles on it, and I was ecstatic to take it off their hands
Agree with this. Shop around. You should never pay MSRP. I paid $4k under MSRP for a 4 dr Rubi. Only upturn was a hardtop. Do research, search local lots, watch internet specials, and be patient. It pays off!

Also widen you search. A couple hundred dollar plane ticket and a road trip back in a new jeep might be economical, and a fun adventure.

Last edited by WHT_JKUR; 02-24-2015 at 03:44 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:01 AM
JK Freak

Be leery of deals too good to be true, the dealership usually tries to make it up in the finance office. I walked out on the day I went to take delivery of mine when they started playing games. I was onto the games they were playing and still feel like I had the wool pulled over my eyes because I wanted the truck they had and my color(Commando Green) was no longer able to be ordered.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Timing is everything. Sometimes the hidden expenses of that "great deal " renders it less so. Plus, there is something to be said for getting an excellent deal on trade in , driving in, driving out.
In the Northeast, I have yet to see a deal as good as those on the West coast. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably has some fine print buried in there.
Cash is King, but taking time time and $ to travel, drive back, could easily add another $1,000 to that great deal.
I'd rather buy from local dealer, knowing service, warranty claims, will be honored . They respect me as a knowledgeable customer , I've always gotten excellent deals from them. Some intangibles can be "priceless".
Old 02-24-2015, 05:46 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

We need two Jeep Wranglers.

One bare bones no frills model. (less expensive)

Then the mall crawler one with overboard electronics, tilt wheel, seat heater, etc etc etc....

The problem is they are trying to appeal to 2 different markets with one vehicle.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:13 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Morris4x4Center
We need two Jeep Wranglers. One bare bones no frills model. (less expensive) Then the mall crawler one with overboard electronics, tilt wheel, seat heater, etc etc etc.... The problem is they are trying to appeal to 2 different markets with one vehicle. ...
this is one of the reasons we no longer get the Land Rover Defender here in the US. They never put airbags in the defender. They kept it strictly utilitarian as much as possible. Some luxuries, but the electronics are nowhere near the current Jeep models.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Federal Emissions, safety standards , from air bags, rear view cameras, stability control, etc etc, make "simple" a relative term.
Wrangler could have the Jeep Lite version ( post # 4 ) which would be no power windows, locks, radio, carpet, rear seat . A/C is already an option . That delete list might shave $1,000 off. Hopefully more.
The base now, without air, is $22, 795 MSRP plus destination fees, which are $995 in Central NY.
Maybe a Jeep Lite , a born-again TJ, would get the Entry Level down under $ 20,000 , as a realistic no "fine print" price.
Hope Springs Eternal !

Last edited by Four Low; 02-24-2015 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never understood people who want a "base jeep". I'm confused as to why someone wouldn't want a radio. But I guess different stokes for different folks. I listen to music a lot while driving. It makes life so much more fun in my opinion. Both my jeep and music evoke a lot of emotion for me so I can't imagine having one without the other. When I have the top off in the summer with my favorite playlist playing, I am truly in my happy place. Simply put:
music+jeep=heaven

I know I'll probably get some shit for this, but I think the jeep is very reasonably priced. I think at 30k you can get a really nicely equipped jeep that is incredibly potent and capable for both everyday driving and off-roading.

That Mercedes is badass don't get me wrong, I just think if I was going to spend that kind of money for an off-road beast, I'd buy a jeep with a 6.4L hemi.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:13 PM
JK Super Freak

I don't care about radio in a jeep, or A/C ; the Jeep is the music, I'm from the Old Generation that listens to the vehicle.
I have Dogs who Ride, so A/C is for them. Back in the Old Days, you listened to what the vehicle was telling you, mine were Very Used back then, so you paid attention to the language of Machine. Walking is highly overrated .
Now that I'm spoiled, late in life, with new vehicles, I find the Old Habits to be just fine.

Quick Reply: Mercedes G 4x4 Concept.... Wish Jeep would start thinking this way