Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Might be buying a used JKU with mods, what should I look out for?

Old 08-17-2012, 03:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might be buying a used JKU with mods, what should I look out for?

I have a 2 door and need to upgrade to a 4 door cause we recently lost our suv to an accident. I was intending on waiting till the end of the year when dealerships are trying to dump their 2012s or even lease a 2013 in the new awesome colors, but I came across a 2011 mango tango (I have a weakness for that color) with mods. Looks like it has a 3" lift, front and rear rampage bumpers and (possibly 35") cooper st tires. There are no pics of the underside of the jeep and I won't get to look at it till this Saturday. But from the pictures posted on the website, it has a tie rod stabilizer (not too sure of the name, but it's definitely hooked up to the tie rod). No good pics of the engine bay, no pics really worth reposting from the website either. If it has 35s, I'm going to assume that there was gear work done to it.

So what else should I be looking out for? What ride qualities should I expect with a lifted, bigger tire, possibly regeared JKU? Anything I'm missing? Should I just go with a 2012-2013 JKU sport for the sake of the newer engine and tranny and no mods? Thanks in advance!
Old 08-17-2012, 03:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just ID'ed the wheels, they are Mickey Thompson Sidebiters
Old 08-17-2012, 03:27 AM
JK Freak

There are VERY few 2012 JKU's sitting on lots around here. When I ordered they had two and one was a demo with 5200 miles. When I went on Wednesday to pick mine up they had sold the FE JKU from four weeks ago and allready sold another 2013 JKU Sahara. I didn't see and JKU's except mine.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flip94ta
There are VERY few 2012 JKU's sitting on lots around here. When I ordered they had two and one was a demo with 5200 miles. When I went on Wednesday to pick mine up they had sold the FE JKU from four weeks ago and allready sold another 2013 JKU Sahara. I didn't see and JKU's except mine.
Haha you should drive over here, there are a ton of 2012s but they're still over priced. The dealerships started marking them down, but they drop their prices around Oct - Nov. I got my rubi 2 years ago for a ridiculous price. It probably helped that it was a manual cause not many people around here drive stick with the stop and go traffic.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:10 AM
JK Freak

I use the iPhone so I don't always see your location unless I click on your avatar. You are right I see a ton when I ride up to Erie but here in Akron there were three JKU's between the two lots. One was a black Sahara dual top with nav and a SIX SPEED!! I wanted the transmission bad but after this hot summer screw black. I've been happy with the A580 in the first 150 miles, it's way better than the 4L60e I traded in.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lone Wolf 87

Should I just go with a 2012-2013 JKU sport for the sake of the newer engine and tranny and no mods?

YES! Just my HO

Quick Reply: Might be buying a used JKU with mods, what should I look out for?