Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Mirrors when doors are off

Old 06-05-2019, 03:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mirrors when doors are off

Hey guys, trying to figure out which mirrors to get for the summer. Planning on having the doors off a lot and need to get mirrors. What are the best ones to get? Need input.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

There's a lot of discussions on doors off mirror solutions. It depends on what you're looking for.

1. There are options which are inexpensive, make you street legal but will shake and rattle.
2. There are options which are more of a solid mount, but are smaller in size for rearward viewing while being inexpensive.
3. There are options which are cheap such as sticking a mirror on your side vents. Not sure on how legal they are in some states, and how well they work, but better than nothing.
4. There are options where you relocate the mirrors off the door and move them to an A-pillar mount, but some of those options the A-pillar tends to obstruct the passenger side view.

These are 2 of the best options in my opinion, which many prefer but they are a bit more expensive.

The Q-tech mirrors which fall into category #4 but they address the A-pillar obstruction in their design.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadrate...ep-wrangler-jk

And then there's the Dietech mirror brackets where they get mounted to the hinges. They look good, they work great, but some don't like having to install mirrors after removing the doors. This is what I have and then picked up a set of OEM knock-off replacement mirrors for $60 to mount onto the brackets.
Die-Tech Off-road Mirror Brackets

So what's most important to you?
Price/budget?
Function?
Looks?
Passing legality?
There's many options to chose from depending on what is most important to you.

If I want to run doorless, I install the Dietech mirrors. I also have a set of tube doors I like, where I made sure to get tube doors that you could mount factory mirrors to, where that provides the open air feel of going doorless but still provides some protection and something to mount mirrors to.

Dietech mirror brackets

Front Tube doors

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-06-2019 at 03:05 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:57 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

I did Dietech for years and loved them. Picked up Quadratecs mirror movers last year and they have been flawless. mirrors are always on and ready with full doors, fabric doors and no doors. It makes a big difference having stock sized mirrors in the stock locations (for me) and I really hated swapping mirrors for different door options. The only time these won't work is with the windshield down, but I've only put it down once in 7 years so that's not really an issue.

Old 06-06-2019, 03:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
It makes a big difference having stock sized mirrors in the stock locations (for me)
100% agree with this. So for me there's really 2 options which seem good and you can't go wrong either way, and just choose either of those options depending on your preferences. There's the dietechs or the Qtechs and everything else is "meh" and always have some negative associations when using them.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:35 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Mirror

X3 for the Dietech, solid construction easy to swap over, but only if you plan on running doors off for extended period. Torx tip for the door mirror bolts and socket for the upper center door hinge bolt (16 or 18 MM on the JK).
Old 06-06-2019, 05:04 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
It makes a big difference having stock sized mirrors in the stock locations (for me)
+3 on this one. I do not have the Q mirrors myself, but they are the best option IMO. Ignore the price. One of those things that over time you'll be happy you plunked the money down, and when you're done with em you can re-sell them to recover a lot of the value.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

X4 for the Dietechs, my issue was with the cheaper ones they rattle and move so much they are useless, got the dietechs and its exactly like stock. love them
Old 06-06-2019, 01:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

THANKS ALL FOR THE ADVICE! I have a friend selling the Dietech with mirrors and think I will give him a call.

Quick Reply: Mirrors when doors are off