Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Mod life, what do you REALLY need?

Old 11-27-2015, 04:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliCrusher
"It's the poor craftsman that blames his tools." I agree with the sentiment. Watching King of the Hammers you can see this philosophy in real time. I watched one team winch halfway up Chocolate Thunder, while another team shot right up it with a flat back tire. BUT, if you're going to play on the rocks you probably don't want to hone your crawling skills in a bone stock JK. Large tires and sliders help with the learning curve while keeping the value of your jeep in blue book range. Something to keep in mind. Good post though.
My jeep (2015 JKU Sahara) is still pretty much stock. I have been told my first real investment should be on better tires. Thoughts?
Old 11-27-2015, 10:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by daj1975
My jeep (2015 JKU Sahara) is still pretty much stock. I have been told my first real investment should be on better tires. Thoughts?
depends on what you want to do with it but if you are just looking for something slightly more agressive then look for some rubi takeoffs you can get them super cheap and they are all over the place on craigslist.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by daj1975
Very true. Those 4 small areas of rubber determine the grip.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

tarpon4me, this is one of the best posts I've read.

I wouldn't brush off the advantages of mods like better tires, lockers,some lift or rock sliders, but I wouldn't underestimate a stock Jeep either.
And, the best mod of all, is driver skill.

Last edited by GJeep; 11-30-2015 at 12:45 AM.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GJeep
Very true. Those 4 small areas of rubber determine the grip.
Many thanks!
Old 11-27-2015, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo
depends on what you want to do with it but if you are just looking for something slightly more agressive then look for some rubi takeoffs you can get them super cheap and they are all over the place on craigslist.
Thank you!
Old 11-29-2015, 07:19 PM
JK Newbie

Ok coming from a guy that drop a boatload on his jkus only to make it annoying to drive as a dd and sold it, I can say it looked sweet and could do a lot of stuff offroad but on road manners matter to me. I did all of the typical stuff...rk 2.5 flex lift, 35's, truss and gussets, bumpers, winch etc. etc. etc. At the end of the day I learned that you don't need all of that to have a fun and capable vehicle. I bought a new jkuhr last week and I have decided that my mods for now are going to be winch, flat fenders, spacers and 33's, d ring mounts with hilift mount and a big smile.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by capjim
Ok coming from a guy that drop a boatload on his jkus only to make it annoying to drive as a dd and sold it, I can say it looked sweet and could do a lot of stuff offroad but on road manners matter to me. I did all of the typical stuff...rk 2.5 flex lift, 35's, truss and gussets, bumpers, winch etc. etc. etc. At the end of the day I learned that you don't need all of that to have a fun and capable vehicle. I bought a new jkuhr last week and I have decided that my mods for now are going to be winch, flat fenders, spacers and 33's, d ring mounts with hilift mount and a big smile.
That sounds perfect to me!

Quick Reply: Mod life, what do you REALLY need?