Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Monotone paint??

Old 12-08-2009, 04:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monotone paint??

Hi I apologize for a stupid question but I notice many of the paint descriptions are called "Monotone" is this a type of paint, or the way it is applied or something?

I searched the net and no luck either
Old 12-08-2009, 05:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

don't quote me on this one, as English is not my first language, but i believe mono means one as in one color through out the vehicle. (I'm really trying to be nicer as some say I'm sarcastic and never contribute to anything....... really never?)

Last edited by robin; 12-09-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:07 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks Robin, that makes sense. I thought it may have been a premium color I have a Hinda cycle with a special paint depending on the angle of the light it appears as two seperate color's
Old 12-08-2009, 11:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm thinking no metalic maybe?
Old 12-08-2009, 11:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by robin
don't quote me on this one, as English is not my first language, but i believe mono means one as in one color through out the vehicle. (I'm really trying to be nicer as some say I'm sarchastic and never contribute to anything....... really never?)
Well, I think monotone would technically mean one sound... Monochrome would be one color.
But if they are using a "mono" word to describe paint, I'd say it means that it is one color... as opposed to a "two-tone paint job".

EDIT: ok ok, definition #7 in Webster, after all the sound stuff, says tone is also a color value, or tint or shade of color, so they are smarter than me today.

Last edited by horwitzs; 12-08-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NetworkMD
Hi I apologize for a stupid question but I notice many of the paint descriptions are called "Monotone" is this a type of paint, or the way it is applied or something?

I searched the net and no luck either

I think (maybe I'm wrong) "monotone paint" are use in tech spec by a lot of dealerships and they mean flat paint, no pearl, no metallic...

Maybe this help you a little...
Old 12-08-2009, 04:36 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Marcin
I think (maybe I'm wrong) "monotone paint" are use in tech spec by a lot of dealerships and they mean flat paint, no pearl, no metallic...

Maybe this help you a little...
This is usually what they mean. That it only has the primary paint color, no flakes of other colors.

Sometimes they use the term monotone scheme, which means that everything is painted in that color. In the case of the JK, that would be the case if the top matched to body (like the black ones).
Old 12-08-2009, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Monotone to mean no metallic or pearl, but still glossy.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nlgrav182
Monotone to mean no metallic or pearl, but still glossy.
I like this one.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok..... from an artist......

Monotone means one "Tone" of color. Meaning the object, or vehicle in this case, is ONE COLOR only. When you see "twotone" it means the vehicle is painted with two colors.... maybe even two different shades of the same color. Such as red paintjob with dark red on the rocker panels.

Monotone does not have anything to do with the color or how it is applied or any special effects such as pearl or metallic. It just means one color.

I think all Jeeps are monotone.... no Jeeps come from the factory with twotone or more. Well, unless you count the unpainted parts on the rollbar under the padding!

Quick Reply: Monotone paint??