Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Mopar Front Tow Bar

Old 02-14-2008, 09:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mopar Front Tow Bar

I have the Mopar front tow bar. I bought it about 6 months or so ago.

I just received a call from a guy with Mopar wanting information regarding the Vin # of the Jeep Wrangler that I bought the tow bar for. I don't have my Jeep with me today so I was unable to give him the info.
I questioned him regarding why he wanted the info. He advised he could not tell me right now, only that there is an investigation into these tow bars and if something comes up they need the info of the Wranglers they are going on.

Has anyone else received a call? Any thoughts or ideas for the call? If you have one of these tow bars send me a pm and I'll give you the guys # if you want it.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not heard a thing. Haven't seen anything through our parts info system either.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:50 AM
JK Junkie

Does it make sense that he would want the last 8 digits of my vin but not want any of my personal info or tell me why he needed it? Other than there is an investigation and he doesn't know too much. His # is in Michigan.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:51 AM
JK Freak

Seems a little sketchy to me, but then again, anytime I get a call from someone I don't know I'm always a little cautious especially since they wouldn't tell you why they needed the information.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:54 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by byucoug
Seems a little sketchy to me, but then again, anytime I get a call from someone I don't know I'm always a little cautious especially since they wouldn't tell you why they needed the information.

He called my work because that is who bought the part from the dealer. So it appears he is tracking down every part that was sold to find out what the vin # is.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

The factory has all of your contact info attached to the VIN. All they need is the last 8 to pull it up.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hansonian
i'd get more info out of him before i gave up my vin number. tell him to send you some documentation on what exactly he needs that information for. if he doesn't want to give up the info i'd tell him the last 8 digits are 12345678.
There is nothing to be worried about by giving out the last 8 digits of a vehicle vin #. He obviously received your contact information from the factory.

A person can walk up to any car on the street and get the full VIN. There is nothing they can do with it though.

This is either market research they are conducting or it could be some sort of product recall or update.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:52 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Don-A-Vee
There is nothing to be worried about by giving out the last 8 digits of a vehicle vin #. He obviously received your contact information from the factory.

A person can walk up to any car on the street and get the full VIN. There is nothing they can do with it though.

This is either market research they are conducting or it could be some sort of product recall or update.
Sounds like a possible future recall. I called him back. He still would not tell me much but did say that if there is something I would be contacted. I drilled him whether my tow bar is safe or not.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:01 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hE JUST WANTS TO KNOW WHERE EVERYONE WITH A TOW BAR LIVES. tHAT WAY HE CAN JUST PULL UP AT NIGHT, HOOK UP AND DRIVE AWAY!

Sorry for yelling....stupid caps lock

Quick Reply: Mopar Front Tow Bar