Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

mopar top vs aftermarket

Old 03-20-2008, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mopar top vs aftermarket

I got the soft top with the Jeep, but I'm thinking I might want to have the option of a hardtop for security purposes should I have to park somewhere that sucks.

I've read some somewhat negative things about the mopar 3 piece freedom top, and some random things about other hard tops. If you were me, with a 2dr. 2k8 JK X, what hard top would you go for and why?
Old 03-20-2008, 10:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Grant211
if you are looking for a hardtop because of security reasons, I'd say just go get a really good car alarm versus the hardtop solution

Well, technically I think it's a toss up, but from what I've been reading it seems bad guys see the soft top as an invitation, cutting them before they even try the door.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Grant211
I use to think that too when i first got my jeep. I just needed to stop being so paranoid about that.

The best thing you can do is leave everything out of sight. Don't leave CD's, change, cb's, cell phones, etc... out in the open. Some guys leave the doors unlocked in the jeep, becuase they rather have the badguy try to open the door and get in versus cutting the soft top.

If you are in the bad area, then maybe you should consider a hardtop and an alarm.

good luck on your decision.
makes sense, but if I do go with a hardtop would you avoif the mopar one? At least online it looks good.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JRyan
makes sense, but if I do go with a hardtop would you avoif the mopar one? At least online it looks good.
I have a soft top and I thought about this very thing. If I had the money for a hard top, I would go aftermarket unless I got the mopar top for 50% off or something.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Blue
I have a soft top and I thought about this very thing. If I had the money for a hard top, I would go aftermarket unless I got the mopar top for 50% off or something.

This is sort fop the way I was leaning.

Quick Reply: mopar top vs aftermarket