Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

More Tire Questions From A Dumb Noob

Old 12-22-2006, 05:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Tire Questions From A Dumb Noob

so does anyone know where i could get some cheaper tires on the internet i have 245 75r 16's stock i wanna get something bgger i was told that 32's would be the biggest what would be the widest remember i have no idea what i'm doing here this is my first jeep and i'm very uneducated when it comes to this sorta thing i've decided on the full traction econo w/ stock shocks hopefully that'll work but the tires are throwing me for a loop.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hi PROD,

Don't forget to use punctuation in your posts to make your questions easier to understand!

Here's what you need to know (I think):

There are 3 things to consider:

1) The total wheel diameter (that's one edge of rubber to the opposite edge of rubber): If you're not off-roading, then the wheelwell will accommodate 33" diamter maximum without rubbing. But be careful: not 33.2 inches or 33.3. It supposedly has to be 33" exactly. Unless you get a lift, in which case the total diameter can go up accordingly.

2) The tire width: If you run 33" tires, then you can't have a 12.5" tire width or this will rub (on a stock setup). You have to go with a 10.5" width, although some people say you can get away with an 11.5" if the shape of the tire edge is rounded and not straight. If you're going to use stock rims (7 or 8" rim width) I think the safest diameter tire is 10.5". If you're going to go with 12.5 inch wide tires, then you should buy aftermarket rims that are wider. I don't know if that last statement is true, because some guys on the board are running 12.5" tires on stock rims without any problems.

3) Backspacing. The rim has a center where the axle bolts onto it. The backspacing is the distance from the inner vertical face of the rim to where the rim meets the axle/bolts. Ordinarily, the backspacing for the JK should be 5 or 6 inches so the wheel comes to the edge fo the flare, although this will depend on your tire width too. The less backspacing you have, the more the wheel will stick out of the flare. I think if you add a 1.5" spacer to the stock rims, you drop the backspacing from 5.5" to 4" and they come flush with the flare edge. The exact numbers may be off but the concept is correct (I think!). Different rims have different backspacing, so some will have small backspacing (4 inches) without the need for spacers. Check to see if it's even legal in your area to have wheels that stick out beyond the flares. Where I live, it's illegal and we usually get ticketed.

Also note that less backspacing buys you more tire width without rubbing ( I think, correct me if I'm wrong guys).

For example, let's say you wanted to keep your 16's: If you get tires that are 295/75/16 then you'll have a 33.1" diameter overall, a width of 11.5" (meaty but not too crazy) and they will fit your stock rims; now, keep in mind this may not be a safe or even possible setup on your rims, because they may not safely support 11.5 inch width tire, but you get the idea. Here's a good site that you can play with to find the right dimensions: http://www.redrock4x4.com/tech/tire_...&method=metric

One last thing: I live in Canada, so I get my tires off the native reserves (no import duties or taxes) but in the U.S. I think people order from Tirerack.com? I'm not sure. Anyone have suggestions?

Good luck!!!!
Dean

Last edited by Dean; 12-22-2006 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thnx

Hey thnx for the info. Sorry about the punctuation issue I have to type fast when I'm at work. My thing is I'm just trying to save some money since they don't pay fireman shit these days or any other day. But I will look into it further I appreciate the help.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

prod,

Great question, I'm limping thru the same questions in my mind.

DEAN!

Thank you very much for your assistance, it really makes since now.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Oops, I made a mistake (I probably made tons, but here;s one I caught)

When I said backspacing is from the inner face of the rim to the bolts, it should be from the OUTER face of the rim to the bolts. I think? Damn, I'm all confused. All I know is, make sure you get 4-5 inches of backspacing max, no more than that!!!!
Old 12-22-2006, 01:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

There's a guy on ebay selling 255/75-17 BFG Mud T/A for about $500 for 4 (search for 255 75 17 - 2 different auctions). Same OEM tires as on the 07 Rubicon. You may want to PM him and see if he has the same tire for your 16in rim. I got a price of 660/shipped for 5 of the above. about $400 less than tirerack.

I don't need a big fat mudder tire just a better one then the GYs that come on the Sahara.

dave

Quick Reply: More Tire Questions From A Dumb Noob