Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

MTR's with Kevlar First Trail Run Review!

Old 08-19-2009, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MTR's with Kevlar First Trail Run Review!

FYI,

If anyone is on the fence about getting the new MTR's with Kevlar, I would pull the trigger on those.

This past weekend was the first weekend off road (at Rausch Creek) for the 305/70/17's.

They were infrickincredible! Granted allot was going from the KM1 32's to the 34's now but, worth their weight in gold.

They really don't have any noticeable deflation when airing down (12psi) and bite like mad.

The real proof came from an obstacle called "winch hill". For those of you who have never been there, it is a long "bathtub" like shaped depression in the ground.

You enter from about a 45 degree drop about 60 foot down, drive through a big deep section of creek for about 100 yards then out a 60 foot 45-50 degree climb out.

It's allot of fun and more "scary" looking than it actually is once you have done it once.

Well I had a group with me and went down it and back out with no issues in our JK . A guy in our group with a YJ on 33's wanted to go down but, had me ride with him. He took the same line and WHAM cut sidewall LR on the exit WTF?

Tons of people have done this without damage. So, another guy in our group (JK Unlimited also with 33's) wanted to go down. He asked me to ride along and took the same line. That is the only line to take in the creek (it trys pulling you hard in).

Same thing on the exit... WHAM, cut sidewall LR

Looked at mine, not a scratch or nick on the sidewall. Looked at the videotapes, we all took the same line!

Found out, other people had been blowing sidewalls also on Saturday. A large rock on the exit had under-cut and was almost like a pinching razor against the sidewall on the way out.

In seriousness, if I was still running the KM's I am sure I would have cut the sidewall also!

The tire impressed the heck out of me. It's fairly quiet on the road and handles great. The Kevlar sidewall lets me run at 30psi cold on the road so, it is also much smoother than the 37psi from the KM's I used to run.

For what it's worth, they are worth every penny.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also will be getting a set of these when I wear out my KM's.

But Locked' needs them soon. Those SRA's are a joke.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:11 PM
cfr
JK Freak

Please post up some pics of the new tires.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:17 PM
JK Newbie

I got my 35" MTR's/k for my JK when they first came out and do agree they are awsome. Like them better than my KM2's which I use on my CJ7 and when those wear out I am getting MRT's/k for my CJ7. Excellent tire.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the post, I'm debating on The MT/Rs or KM2s for my next tire. Not sure the MT/R is an aggressive enough tread to handle rocks. I really want BFG Krawlers, but they only come in 37s for 17s
Old 08-23-2009, 07:55 PM
JK Freak

Can anyone compare this tire to the Nitto Mud Grappler? I am torn between the two...

I currently have the 35" KM2's on my TJ and they are tough but don't really grab as well as i would like. I usually run them between 8 and 10 psi on my beedlocks to get them to grab. I have tried everything form 14psi to 12 psi and then 10 psi...this is when they started acting like a better off road tire. I fear I will rip the sidewall at this pressure soon....good reason to upgrade to some 37" tires though right!
Old 08-23-2009, 08:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Marine
Can anyone compare this tire to the Nitto Mud Grappler? I am torn between the two...

I currently have the 35" KM2's on my TJ and they are tough but don't really grab as well as i would like. I usually run them between 8 and 10 psi on my beedlocks to get them to grab. I have tried everything form 14psi to 12 psi and then 10 psi...this is when they started acting like a better off road tire. I fear I will rip the sidewall at this pressure soon....good reason to upgrade to some 37" tires though right!
Ive ran with Wiredawg and his Nitto mud grapplers, They also require to be aired down quite low to start flexing the sidewall as do my MTR kevlars. That is just what happens when you run a D or E load range tire on wrangler. These things do not weigh as much as a 3/4 ton truck and thus do not put as much weight on the tires causing the sidewalls to flex. Ive had my 37" MTR Kevlar's for a few weeks now and my impressions are they definately work in a varity or terrains. Will they be better than brand x tire? too soon to tell. They do work better than the previous generation but I would not say they are night and day different just yet.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:00 AM
JK Jedi

Great review, look forward to long term updates, especially on tread wear.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:56 PM
JK Freak

I just got my set this weekend. I haven't had a chance to get them on a trail yet but the highway ride is awesome. These aren't any louder than my Mickey Thompson ATZs and ride great. They also look a lot better in person than in pictures.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:41 PM
cfr
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Denny2565
I just got my set this weekend. I haven't had a chance to get them on a trail yet but the highway ride is awesome. These aren't any louder than my Mickey Thompson ATZs and ride great. They also look a lot better in person than in pictures.
Sweet! What size are those?

Do you have a pic from the side?

Quick Reply: MTR's with Kevlar First Trail Run Review!