Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

My first (and hopfully last) Jeep related injury

Old 04-16-2008, 09:57 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by davebloomer
to everyone taking doors off...

When removing drivers side roll the window down grab inside door handle with right hand grab under the mirror with left hand and lift. then your shoulder is in a perfect position to rest most of the weight of the door on it. reverse for passenger. ask for help if you think you may need it. and don't have anything on you that will scratch it up.
Originally Posted by 2K1TJ
Can't believe nobody said....

Sorry to hear about your injury, Bmcollier. Bummer. And here's a pic of how to carry the heavier front doors (except you should probably wear shoes. LOL!):

The rear doors don't have the mirror, but they're lighter and easier to handle. It still works to roll down the window and reach through to the handle, however.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh man, really sorry to hear about that. I have a disk that's degenerating and needed help removing my doors. Maybe that'e that best way, get some help, two people doing it may prevent injuries, just a thought.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by N2rock
Ouch!!! Sorry to hear! Guess you won't be needing those big tires anymore, so come on over to my house and we'll swap them. I'll even do all the work so you won't do any more damage

I have somewhat of an injury from nearly the same thing. After seeing the forecast for the week was so nice, I took my doors off Sunday to leave off for the week. As I was lifting the passenger door (the 2nd one off), I felt a pain shoot up my back. I got the door put up, and the pain remained in my mid-back It was pretty bad all day Sunday, and has lessened each day since. It's still there, but is mostly negligible now.

But really sorry to hear about your damage. That truly sucks!

Oh man...I almost called you Sunday to see if you would help me put the doors back on. I could just picture you hunched over, and me with my arm in a sling trying to carry doors down the driveway.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ouch sorry to hear that, wish you a quick recovery.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry about Your injury , wish you a quick recovery. It might be good that it disconnected from Your elbow, insted of the shoulder. The Doc can pull the muscle down and reattach . My co-worker had it disconnect from shoulder lifting a Ram tire ,and now He just has a ball of muscle down by his elbow when He flexes.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm sorry to hear about your injury. I hope you have a full recovery. You can't put a price on your health.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jelvis
My co-worker had it disconnect from shoulder lifting a Ram tire ,and now He just has a ball of muscle down by his elbow when He flexes.
That's the one thing I like about it, my bicep moved up...it looks like a cartoony popeye muscle now! If I decide against the surgery, maybe I'll get an anchor tattoo.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:26 PM
jmc
JK Enthusiast

That sucks about your arm, hope you feel better. I will have to be careful taking my doors off and I am just getting over a back injury also.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:41 PM
JK Junkie

A friend of mine had this happen too... also while lifting something heavy. He lifts heavy things daily. He had the surgery and thought everything was good until he reinjured it a couple months later. Take the time to heal and you will be back to 100 %. Do the rehab and then continue to do your own after you are done. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Knew that would happen to some one some day. Thought it would be me though!

Thats one of the things I hate about the JK the doors are to heavy and the back seat is heavy as hell!

I have to have Redneck help me with both!

My old Jeep I was able to take the doors off all by myself thats why I'm buying 1/2 doors and changing out my back seat for a lighter one!

Hope you get better soon! If you need a name of a real good ortho doc let me know I have a great doc he works on the Texans players!

Quick Reply: My first (and hopfully last) Jeep related injury