Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

My honest six month review on my 08 JK

Old 04-29-2008, 05:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My honest six month review on my 08 JK

After owning my 2008 Sahara Unlimited for six months I thought I would give an honest review and my thoughts on my JK.
The last jeep I owned was 15 years ago and I always said that when Jeep came out with a four door version that I would buy back in. For the past few decades I have been driving luxury based vehicle, both sedans & sport utes.
Going to the JK was a big step and the basis for a lot of arguments from the wife. She said it is a mid-life crisis that I am going through. I am not as young as many of my fellow JKers, and can afford to buy pretty much any car out there, however I always seemed to stop and look at the JK's. After much research on this web site, (the best online resource for jeeps I must say), I decided to jump in. Purchased a 2008 Sahara Steel Blue, dual tops, auto at INVOICE plus $200. Regardless of what the dealer tried to tell me, money talks bull s--t walks. He caved and I drove home with a smile on my face!
Only problem that I have found has been a couple of squeaks in the dash. Sent it in but decided to wait until warmer weather to see if they still remaind. IT is now 70 degrees and he squeeks are gone. The truck runs pretty good but is too under powered for me to consider as a long term owner. If they come out with a better engine or Hemi, then I will bail this out and try the next one. The Mileage is terrible on this vehicle. Don't misunderstand me on this... I bougth a jeep and did not think twice about the mileage, however given the technology that is in the car industry today, there is no doubt that Chrysler could have put a better engine that has more horse power and a touch better milage. I know this is true since I have owned several sport utes some bigger, some the same, all with better mileage and available 8 cyl. - Chrysler has the engines but are not willing to put them in the jeep.
Second issue don't be fooled by the percieved ease of removing the tops. If you don't remove the front t-tops in a specific order, the jeep leaks like an old tent... put them on in the correct order and the leaks seem to go away,, or at least they did for me. Switching from hard to soft is just as big of a challenge and putting the windows back in when it starts to rain - you might as will just accept that you are going to get wet and don't bother - there is nothing easy or quick about this install.
My final observation,,, talk to anyone the owns a jeep and they will tell you about the first spring day that you take the top off... on the day it makes everything else worth it!!!! I FULLY AGEE however I have decided that I will just drive it as a second car, garage it with soft top down, perhaps switch to a bikini top and only take it out on the sunny days. All in all, once you get used to giving up all the other luxury items that I had gotten used to in my Land Cruiser, I have started to more appreciate the simple technology that is based in the jeep. Maybe not a great daily driver, but a great fun car, and great summer car. So if you are ever in Mass. and see this older, grey haired guy cruising & smiling and listing to the radio louder than it should be, then make sure you give me the jeep waive and I be sure to wave you back. Hope this helps anyone else that may be considering a JK.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Good analysis, I'm sure I'll see you around. I plan to use mine as the DD but me and the wife have talked about getting a 3rd car and using during weekends.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Always good hearing different perspectives.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I could agree with all of that. I miss the smooth quite ride of my Chevy truck, and it was fun to drive too. I plan to get another soon and make this the wifes daily driver and weekend fun jeep. Then the kids get it when they turn 16, but till then the wife and I plan to have tons of fun in it

Even if its louder, rougher and leakier, and more inconvinient than most other vehicles its still a hell of a fun ride and fun to talk to other Jeepers at the gas station that makes all worth it!!!
Old 04-30-2008, 11:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Don't call it a truck. haha

"The truck runs pretty good but is too under powered for me to consider as a long term owner."
Old 05-15-2008, 04:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fair enough assessment. You have to know going in that it's a Jeep, not a LuxUte. The 4dr's will probably make a few enemies (particularly for those soccer moms that buy 2WD's) for people who expect it to be a LR3 or even an H3.

And the Liberty is even worse. You get all of the unrefined nature of the Wrangler without any of the benefits.

One disagreement... the engines. I drive a lot of rentals, & Chrysler just does not seem to be able to make a really smooth or fuel efficient engine. As a matter of fact, I think the V6 they transplanted from the minivans is one of there better engines. I would love to swap in the V6 from my Tacoma, but that's never going to happen with the "lifetime" warranty.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

As another "older" JK owner who bought much for the same reasons, I tend to agree. My last Jeep was a '76 CJ-7 which I loved, but of course, did not fit with the family. My wife also accused me of having a mid-life crisis (but since she drives an AWD XC-90 she can kiss my bottom). She did tell me to buy what I wanted.

As for fuel mileage, I had a Dodge Dakota which got about 15 MPG whether in town or on the highway. DC cannot make an engine which will get both fuel mileage and power. I replaced that truck with a Chevy 3/4 ton which got exactly the same mileage with LOTS of power...

Anyway, I use mine as a DD, but also as the weekend driver (even to church) and am well pleased with it. No, it is not the luxury I am used to in the Volvo, but LOTS more fun.

Anyway, thats my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: My honest six month review on my 08 JK