Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

My JK Shopping experience

Old 04-30-2008, 05:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My JK Shopping experience

I've been looking for an Unlimited X for the last few weeks- drove as far as 100 miles to different dealers after getting pricing on jktoolz, Edmunds, etc. It seems pretty much anywhere I went, the dealers wouldn't come off of MSRP unless they really hammered my trade value. The best deal I can find so far is about a thousand over invoice but at least a thousand behind Kelly wholesale value on my WJ. I'm kind of surprised that they're being this tight this late in the model year, especially with the perception of the economy being what it is. I know a lot of it has to do with my trade, but geez. Any other experiences like this in the Pacific Northwest?

All this has got me to thinking that maybe I should just order one- I'm assuming by doing that I can at least get closer to invoice, right?
Old 05-18-2008, 11:34 AM
JK Newbie

I wish someone with some insight would respond to this thread. I am in the same boat right now. The best I have got my local dealer to come down is $500 off sticker price which sure doesn't seem like much. There a are a ton of '07 and '08 JK's out there, so please share some info folks, what does a good (fair) deal on a new JK look like? Is everyone paying sticker price?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:51 AM
JK Junkie

It must be your location, here in MD you can get invoice everyday and even a couple hundred under if you hit the right day.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:45 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

When negotiating price, let the salesman know that you won't discuss trade-in or financing until after you determine the price. You want the best price he's willing to negotiate. Be mindful of the rebates--it's yours from the factory, not a favor extended by the dealership. After you have the price set, consider your options for financing (I prefer the luxury of paying cash, which also effects price if the salesman knows you won't be financing through them) and selling your old vehicle. Financing options include a local credit union. Selling your old vehicle includes selling it yourself to an individual. IOW: Make the dealership work at your pace through each and every step of selling you the new vehicle.

If you do not follow the preceding advice, then the salesman will determine what is most important to you (price or payment or years financed), and will play a shell game with the price, financing and trade-in value until he finds some balance to make you happy while maximizing his profit.

A couple other hints:

1. Never let the salesman know how bad you want this vehicle. A "maybe I'll buy it, maybe I can wait another year" attitude is what you really want.

2. Dealers are hungry at the end of the month. They have quotas to make which get them money from Chrysler. Most struggle to make those quotas. Making the sale to you on the 31st may be more important than a $500 concession in price to close the deal.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 05-18-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

If I were you, I would look for an out-of-state dealership with too much inventory. Then approach them within a couple days of the end of the month and make an offer.

I got my unlimited Rubicon at $750 below invoice with the following options thrown in as freebies (tow package, power windows, upgraded stereo) since I was going to order one without them and was firm that I would pay no more than my custom ordered one would cost and that any extras on a vehicle on their lot would be free.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BaltChief
It must be your location, here in MD you can get invoice everyday and even a couple hundred under if you hit the right day.

Baltchief's right about the baltimore area, I bought my 08 2dr x in dec and the sticker was $21600 and I got it for $19600, I thought it ws a great deal. I traded a 2005 Dodge ram 4 dr sport, they gave me $16000 for it and ended up having to hold onto it for 4 month's and finally sold it for $14995. Ouch that must of hurt, with gas prices the way they are dealers do not want full size anything, it just won't sell. That being said the trade should be a totally seperate deal from the new vechile price. hope you end up with a good deal. Good luck.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:42 PM
JK Newbie

Mark is right on the money on this approach. I have been selling cars for 15 years and that is the best way to get a fair price. But do remember if you do ask for what we call a clean sale price and then throw your trade in to the mix, expect to get wholsale value for the trade. You cant expect to buy at invoice and receive high book for yours. Just be reasonable and if you are dealing with a good salesperson everything will turn out fine.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

I had the same problem here for a trade in and sold it privately for double what the dealer wanted to give me for it. As for purchasing the JK...I only would talk to the fleet dealer not the sales person. The window sticker said $32,240 and I made him take 11.5% (a number I thought would be a fair discount) off and then made him throw in 0% financing. From what I see not many people are coming across deals like that but I did notice it was the end of the month and it was in the winter (march) not in the summer when everyone wants a convertible. However, gas prices are up since then and I know that a lot of dealerships are starving for business right now so I would shop else where until you can get some money off. Fly down here and buy it and drive it back. You can do some wheeling on the way.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:24 PM
JK Newbie

two words JEEPWAREHOUSE.com order mine on 4/21 picking up 5/21. paid invoice with not one ounce of negoation.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:49 PM
JK Newbie

metro

Can you give us some more insight on your purchase with Jeep warehouse.com

Did you pay cash? Finance w/ them or your own bank?

Have any issues?

Know anybody else that's used them?

thanks

Quick Reply: My JK Shopping experience