Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Need advice buying first Jeep please

Old 10-17-2013, 04:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice buying first Jeep please

Hi everyone, I'll try to keep this relatively brief.

I've been looking for a Jeep all Summer. I've considered everything from JKs to old TJs to really old YJs. Finally, after months of not being able to find just the right used one, I started looking new. I have a few options right now and would appreciate some opinions.

First of all, I'm looking to keep it basic: 2 door, Sport, Soft top only is fine.

A local dealer I've been checking out has 3 options for me that meet all that criteria. They're all virtually identical, being basic Sports but I believe having some of the "S" features they're called - A/C, and the bigger tires and 17" wheels. With a promotion they have going on, and being fortunate enough to get the employee discount, those ones all come in around $25K ish.

The dealer also said that a dealership in a city 2 hours away has two 2013's, that are virtually identical (albeit having only the regular 16" wheels and smaller tires), but that these ones would be like $21K.

The $4K savings for virtually the same vehicle is really enticing, but I could have this thing for like 10 years so over time it won't be as significant and I want to make sure I get one that I like. And those bigger wheels are pretty cool. (I don't know for sure if I'd ever get around to lifting it or getting bigger ones myself).

Are there any other differences in the '13s and '14s that could impact my decision?

Also, the other factor is color. The 3 '14s at the dealer here are white, silver and black. I'm kinda digging the white. The 2 '13s at the other dealership are both black, which isn't my first choice but is also pretty cool. Ideally I woulda probably liked red or something but oh well, can't have it all. What do you guys think about these color options?

So yeah that's what's going on.Any insight you guys could provide is much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by klucas31; 10-17-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Other than color options, there's no change from '13 to '14. As far as which color to pick, personal choice dude. What color do you like? Don't settle, if you want red, go out and find a red one.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

And ,I can't believe I'm saying this, get the auto because this stick sucks in these vehicles.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SPCmario
And ,I can't believe I'm saying this, get the auto because this stick sucks in these vehicles.
Lies and slander. mine is a 6 speed and drives awsome.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:29 PM
JK Newbie

In my opinion, get the colour you really want, dealers can get them shipped from any other dealership in Canada. When I lived in Ontario back in '11 we really wanted a Mango 2dr sport with no options, and the dealership was going to get one shipped from Alberta, but we were lucky enough to find one on another lot with the 17" wheels and hardtop in Mango for 21k so we jumped on it.
If you don't care about the wheels, save your money and stick the 16" steel ones, but get proper rubber on them.

As for the stick, mine works just fine.

Last edited by cgnjeep; 10-17-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPCmario
That's a personal choice more than anything. I had a stick in my 07, wanted the auto in the 12, as I find it better for wheeling. And yet I miss the stick for everything else. I also find that while I thought I could just drive the auto as if it was a stick (it has the stick shift), I can't really. I'll manually drop gears to go up hills or something... but otherwise I just put it in drive. It's kind of a disappointment in that regard. But if I bought another one, I'd still get the auto, so I guess that says something.

OP, 4k is easily enough to go buy some tires - especially if you can score some used in ON or just south of the boarder. In fact you have a lot of options for tires in that regard. As for the differences, no clue. I don't know what the "s" package entails. You'll want to compare the differences and see if those options are ones you think you need, or if you can live without them. But honestly, regarding the tires, I wouldn't get those unless you have to.

I do know a couple things I'm loving in my JK. AC. Last JK didn't have it, and it was basically the main reason why I got a new one. Sounds stupid until you're in a situation where you can't remove the top, and it's brutally hot outside. It would be a sweat box. Knowing how humid the GTA can be, this would be a must on my list. Connectivity group. Allows me to keep a cheap ipod in the center console and control it through the stock stereo. Just plugs in via the USB port, and no one can tell it's there. I was never an ipod guy, but went and got a used one after testing that this would work for me. I actually ordered it just so I could plug in a USB stick... but after experimenting trying to find a way to have a play list, I gave up. But it's something I use all the time, and love it.

Color is also a personal choice. Had a white one, decided to get a silver one. Love it. Not sure I could handle the black one (shows scratches too easily, and I wheel mine). I've also never really been a fan of the bright colors... I was afraid when I ordered my 12 that I'd love it for a while, then get tired of it. Decided a more neutral color would be better (I plan on keeping mine forever). But I'd take my time and find one that's the exact color you want. Don't settle on something that you'll look at every single time you see your jeep.

I'm not sure I'd buy one without a hard top (ON does get real winters from time to time - or so my family out there keeps telling me). STs are cheap, and you can usually find them for 3-500 on craigslist or kijiji. There's also a lot of different options for STs, or bikini tops. It also makes the JK a tad more secure. HT from factory means it's already wired in (rear wiper). If you find you don't use it, you can always sell it. But again, that's a personal choice - I just couldn't imagine mine without the HT when the weather gets bad. My ST does leak a tad. Perhaps yours won't.

Last edited by Septu; 10-17-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:17 PM
JK Super Freak

I started with a red 07 unlimited x and have moved on to a white 12 unlimited Rubicon. . I miss the red, but the white isn't too bad. . In Hawaii there is a lot of red dirt so it shows as soon as you hit a puddle, even if it's tiny. Go with the color you actually like, especially if you plan on keeping it, why spend thousands of dollars on something you don't love? You wouldn't take a girl you weren't interested in on an expensive date would you? Lol.. my 07 had a hard top that I thought I hated because of the pain in the butt it was to go topless while living in an apartment, so I got my 12 with a soft top, and regret it. . Is waited to transition to, and cheaper to buy a soft top than the other way around. .. On the tires. . even if your intentions are never to put larger tires on, when it's time to purchase new tires, you will probably go bigger because it looks good and you can. . It's like a disease. . Lol
Old 10-18-2013, 05:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know if you have owned a black vehicle before but they are a bit of a pain to keep clean. ( if your in to that kind of thing ) But I love my black jeep. My next will be white to hide scratches a little better. Do you like the way the stock rubicon wheels / tires look? You could find people selling these quite often here and on craigslist for good prices. Definitely don't settle when you will be keeping it for a long time.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:47 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

make sure you get at least 3.73 gears in the axles. Stay away from the 3.21 gears.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
make sure you get at least 3.73 gears in the axles. Stay away from the 3.21 gears.
This is important if you ever plan to take the rig offroad.

Get a Sport S in the color you like, and call it a day, especially if you're planning to live with your Jeep for 10 years. That's what I did and I'm in love with it.

Quick Reply: Need advice buying first Jeep please